fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Can't take exam before August 30!!

Can't take exam before August 30!! 12 years 11 months ago #2030

• David Glasgow
  • David Glasgow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Best-layed plans. I have been studying for about a month and had planned to take the PMP Exam the last week of August to be able to meet the deadline. However, it's looking like project schedule (MAJOR gate review) is going to prevent that. I won't be ready in July, so it probably will need to be in September, which of course is past the deadline.

So my question is, how big of a concern is this, really? I'm currently watching the prepcast, reading the PMBOK, and using another exam-prep book. I have other resources (webinar, etc.) outlining the change, but I guess I'd like more clarity...should I be concerned?

Re:Can't take exam before August 30!! 12 years 11 months ago #2031

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
David,

The "real" difference is going to be the ethics questions. Today, ethics questions can easily be spotted as such (i.e. "Which of the following is a mandatory standard from "Respect"?) but in the future, they will be more nuanced (i.e. "How do you properly communicate scope changes after a bidder conference?" - is that communication or ethics?). We are working on integrating a series of 100 such "new style" ethics questions into our PMP Exam Simulator. Should be ready by mid-July. (But as you said... best laid plans...)

The other changes that PMI is introducing are in fact so minor that we have determined that our other PMP prep products don't need to be updated. What we teach is based on the PMBOK Guide and PM best practices. So you are covered from this perspective.

You mentioned that you have access to a webinar outlining the changes. Would you mind sharing where I could access this and take a look? I'd be interested in seeing what other trainers say on this topic.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Re:Can't take exam before August 30!! 12 years 11 months ago #2032

• David Glasgow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the quick reply, Cornelius. Based on what you say, I think I will be OK to wait until September. I don't think I have a choice anyway, but I want to make sure I'm well-positioned. I'm sure there are other aspiring PMPs in the same situation as myself.

As for the webinar, the link is below. I haven't finished watching the whole thing, so I can't vouch for its content.

www2.gotomeeting.com/register/642345979

Re:Can't take exam before August 30!! 12 years 11 months ago #2033

• David Glasgow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Cornelius,

If you are successful in viewing the webinar, let me know what you think. There were a lot of changes she highlighted in addition to ethics...I assume those were the ones you were referring to as minor.

Thanks in advance!

Re:Can't take exam before August 30!! 12 years 11 months ago #2034

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
David,

Try as I might I'm unable to access and view the video. Unfortunate.
Until Next Time,

Re:Can't take exam before August 30!! 12 years 11 months ago #2035

• David Glasgow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Cornelius,

I have tried the link numerous times and it works for me. Maybe it was down? Can you try again?

www2.gotomeeting.com/register/642345979

Re:Can't take exam before August 30!! 12 years 11 months ago #2043

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I finally got it to work (file extension was associated with the wrong video player on my system.)

The information that she has provided is good info and correct. She takes a long time to get to the "good" bits. From my perspective, the first 15 minutes can be skipped. (But that's probably because I am a trainer myself and know this stuff already.)
Until Next Time,

Re:Can't take exam before August 30!! 12 years 10 months ago #2083

• David Hardin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Cornelius:

I am also concerned about this looming date. Due to family and health issues I had to put my study on hold. I am now back in the groove and able to commit enough time to (hopefully) prepare over the next 55 days. My goal is to take the exam on July 31, and if I need to re-take it, to study hard for 30 days and re-take it by August 30.

I understand that in a worst case scenario I can only take the exam 3 times in a 12-month period. Due to cash-flow (I am not currently working), I would need to re-take this a third time ASAP, say by September 30.

Do you think if, after taking the exam twice in the current format, if I needed to take it under the new format that I could learn and mentally switch gears to be successful in the 30 day September time frame?

I know this sounds sort of negative with my “worst case scenario” attitude, but I am not scoring as high as I would like for the chapters I’ve been through.

Thank you,

Tony Hardin
Just when you think you've got the answers, I go and change the questions!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login