fbpx

Reply: Developing a Winning Study Plan

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Developing a Winning Study Plan

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
13 years 2 months ago #1834

Mark DeFilippis

Great question. Bump. I could use a strategy as well, other than cram the PMBOK.

I am situated the same as David, but I purchased in to Prepcast about a
year ago, needed to put it off to complete a Thesis. I am ready, but a
good plan, with Davids questions answered would be nice to see.

Thanks
Mark
13 years 2 months ago #1817

David Hardin

I would like a couple of people’s thoughts on developing a winning study plan.
  • I have the PrepCast in iTunes
  • I have the Formula Guide
  • I have the FlashCards
  • I have the 10 week Study Coach (just started this)
  • I have Cornelius Fichtner's Emails on 10 Steps to Becoming a PMP
  • I have the weekly email: PMP Exam Tips Newsletter
  • I have the daily Exam Tips and Videotips emails
  • I have the PMBOK Guide
  • Based on the most recent PMP Study Secrets by Jason Smith, I plan to get both the books: “O'Reillys Head First PMP,” and “Andy Crowe's How to Pass the PMP Exam on your First Try.”

Now, I am trying to develop a plan to absorb this knowledge in the next 10 weeks. I would like to be ready to take the PMP exam the first week of April. So, I’m developing my “plan,” and would like some advice.

I plan to take the Study Coach material as it comes, 6 days a week. So far (Session 1) this is exercises in watching videos, specific reading, developing a braindump and taking sample tests.

My initial plan was to:
  • Work through the PrepCast audio/video consistently over the (first) 2-3 weeks for a couple of hours a day (might take longer as I like to commit details to paper so I tend to stop and start the video as I do this).
  • Consistently work through the Study Guide for 90 minutes a day. I assume that this will take me through the PMBOK reading.
  • Spend 30 minutes a day working on formula memorization and braindumping, then (at first) taking the suggested practice exam one day a week.

I’m up to 4 hours a day. :woohoo:

Here are some of my questions:
  1. Is this a winning plan?
  2. What would you recommend be added to or modified?
  3. Where does the PrepCast audio/video come in? Should I go through this completely over the first couple of weeks, or is there a natural progression with the Study Coach?
  4. The Study Coach looks like it will take me through the PMBOK, but I’ve read that I should read it through twice. Will I get off and confused if what I am studying in the Study Coach is different than what I’m reading in the PMBOK?
  5. The same question could be asked about the other two books (O'Reilly & Andy Crowe). My biggest question is: should these "PREP" books be coordinated along with the PMBOK chapters, read after the PMBOK, read through the entire 10 weeks, or read the last 4 weeks of my timeframe?

I plan to devote 3-4 hours a day on this endeavor, but would like to hear someone’s suggestion on what to do first, next, next and what items can/should be done concurrently.

Thank you,

David

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login