Welcome, Guest
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Developing a Winning Study Plan

Developing a Winning Study Plan 5 years 10 months ago #1817

• David Hardin
  • Fresh Boarder
I would like a couple of people’s thoughts on developing a winning study plan.
  • I have the PrepCast in iTunes
  • I have the Formula Guide
  • I have the FlashCards
  • I have the 10 week Study Coach (just started this)
  • I have Cornelius Fichtner's Emails on 10 Steps to Becoming a PMP
  • I have the weekly email: PMP Exam Tips Newsletter
  • I have the daily Exam Tips and Videotips emails
  • I have the PMBOK Guide
  • Based on the most recent PMP Study Secrets by Jason Smith, I plan to get both the books: “O'Reillys Head First PMP,” and “Andy Crowe's How to Pass the PMP Exam on your First Try.”

Now, I am trying to develop a plan to absorb this knowledge in the next 10 weeks. I would like to be ready to take the PMP exam the first week of April. So, I’m developing my “plan,” and would like some advice.

I plan to take the Study Coach material as it comes, 6 days a week. So far (Session 1) this is exercises in watching videos, specific reading, developing a braindump and taking sample tests.

My initial plan was to:
  • Work through the PrepCast audio/video consistently over the (first) 2-3 weeks for a couple of hours a day (might take longer as I like to commit details to paper so I tend to stop and start the video as I do this).
  • Consistently work through the Study Guide for 90 minutes a day. I assume that this will take me through the PMBOK reading.
  • Spend 30 minutes a day working on formula memorization and braindumping, then (at first) taking the suggested practice exam one day a week.

I’m up to 4 hours a day. :woohoo:

Here are some of my questions:
  1. Is this a winning plan?
  2. What would you recommend be added to or modified?
  3. Where does the PrepCast audio/video come in? Should I go through this completely over the first couple of weeks, or is there a natural progression with the Study Coach?
  4. The Study Coach looks like it will take me through the PMBOK, but I’ve read that I should read it through twice. Will I get off and confused if what I am studying in the Study Coach is different than what I’m reading in the PMBOK?
  5. The same question could be asked about the other two books (O'Reilly & Andy Crowe). My biggest question is: should these "PREP" books be coordinated along with the PMBOK chapters, read after the PMBOK, read through the entire 10 weeks, or read the last 4 weeks of my timeframe?

I plan to devote 3-4 hours a day on this endeavor, but would like to hear someone’s suggestion on what to do first, next, next and what items can/should be done concurrently.

Thank you,

David
Just when you think you've got the answers, I go and change the questions!
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by David Hardin. Reason: Added formatting and carity on my most important question.

Re:Developing a Winning Study Plan 5 years 10 months ago #1834

• Mark DeFilippis
  • Fresh Boarder
Great question. Bump. I could use a strategy as well, other than cram the PMBOK.

I am situated the same as David, but I purchased in to Prepcast about a
year ago, needed to put it off to complete a Thesis. I am ready, but a
good plan, with Davids questions answered would be nice to see.

Thanks
Mark
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Scott Gillard, Michael DeCicco, Rahul Kakkar, Fernando Jr Sinlao Lim, Mary Kathrine Padua, Chris Preziotti, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®