fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: I failed the PMP exam. Next steps recommendations?

I failed the PMP exam. Next steps recommendations? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31210

• Raman Kavaleuski
  • Raman Kavaleuski's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looking for some advises on how to prepare for the next attempt of PMI exam. Any resources you can recommend?

Today PMI finally sent the results of my exam. It "Needs Improvement". I spent two months for preparation in total. First month I spent watching the online course (not from the prepcast) and second month I practiced the tests. I took about 10 tests with 25 questions and all three 180-questions quizzes. My average score was 70+.

On the real exam I realised the question were more difficult comparing to Prepcast. It breaksdown to:
1. More complicated phrasing. The sentences in the exam were longer and many times I had to go over it sentence by sentence to understand the full context. The options are rarely short, which also takes more time and attention to reply.
2. There are almost no obviously incorrect options, that you can strikethrough. In prepcast sometimes the answers are obviusly wrong, which leave you less options thus higher chances to answer correctly.
3. The questions are just more complicated. I remember the stupor after first 10 questions, when I realized that it's not a random hard ones that came first.

Not complaining Prepcast or something, just sharing my experience and perception.

Anyway, after a week off, I'll start preparing for the next attempt. Can you recommend some materials (possibly courses and quizzes) that can help me to prepare this time?

Also to add for the context: I work in tech for about 10 year, non-native speaker, passed the PSM and PSPO certs by scrum.org so Agile questions are easier to me, than others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jochebed Manus
Last edit: by Raman Kavaleuski.

I failed the PMP exam. Next steps recommendations? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31220

• Christine Whitney, PMP
  • Thank you received: 4
I used PrepCast, purchased Rita Mulcahy's book, and used the PMI Study Hall. I also really tried to connect with what was happening and why. The questions in the exam are so strange because they don't use any of the words that I associated with the PMBOK. It all seems kind of like vague generalities in a way, so I can feel your pain. I am a native English speaker, so I imagine that adds a lot of difficulty without the standard vocabulary to rely on.

The PMI Study Hall provides very dense reading materials. I don't know how helpful those readings are, but I scanned through each trying to get the gist of each paper. I did not do the 1-hour audios/videos though. I found that the mix of all the information was good for my thought process because I had to see how it all went together. The questions in PMI Study Hall are hard. I think I averaged in the low 70s in those, but 80's in Rita and PrepCast. It does not help to memorize for this exam though. It seems like a lot of the questions were aimed at solving problems and getting you to assess the situation further.  

I hope that helps.

Christine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raman Kavaleuski, Jochebed Manus

I failed the PMP exam. Next steps recommendations? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31229

• Raman Kavaleuski
  • Raman Kavaleuski's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you, Christine for the recommendation. I'll continue my study with it. See ya in the PMP circle soon :)
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login