fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Above Target - Below Target - Target (Question) - PMP ratings

Above Target - Below Target - Target (Question) - PMP ratings 7 months 2 weeks ago #30813

• Beto L
  • Beto L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Team,

I have a question around Above Target / Below Target / Target.

How does it work in the Exam to pass?

For example, I have done two Exam Preparation here in the PM PrepCast and I got around 75% - passed.

However, I was Below Target in one domain and Above Target in 2 domains.

As nobody knows the exactly mininum points that we have to score in the real PMP Exam, I would like to know if you have any idea how it works.

Can someone passes in the exam having taking below target?

Which is the minimum combination of rating (Above Target / Target / Below Target) to get to pass in the PMP?

Thanks a lot
Fabio

Above Target - Below Target - Target (Question) - PMP ratings 7 months 2 weeks ago #30822

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Fabio,

Let me start off by first saying that the Pass/Fail score is a closely guarded secret from PMI and none of us here know what that score will be.

Next, and this is just speculation on my part, the qualitative scores of AT/T/BT are measures of how you score in the domains, not on the overall test. It's the score on the overall test what matters in the long run, not in any one or two domains. For more speculation, I suspect that the domains are not weighted the same. (In the 5-domain test that took in 2019, it was clear that they were not). With that being said, you can make some guesses on outcomes. For example:

AT/AT/AT = Pass
T/T/T = Pass (that would be close to the demarcation line between pass/fail)
BT/BT/BT = Fail

Any other combination depends solely on the weighting of the individual domains which is a closely held secret at PMI.

Another way (and I think better way) to look at the whole thing is to get the highest score possible on the exam and forget about that Domain qualitative scoring. Domain qualitative scoring will give you an idea of your "weak" areas in a general sense, in the event you do not pass.

Good luck!

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

Above Target - Below Target - Target (Question) - PMP ratings 7 months 2 weeks ago #30823

• Beto L
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks so much for sharing your perspective, Ray.

It makes sense to me.

I agree that you may need to consider these ratings and domains in a more "qualitative" manner and perhaps insights into areas that you are strong and weak for your references and development plans in your career moving forward.

This means that what will count is the "quantitative" dimension.

So, out of the 175 questions, PMI has a "secret" % mininum to someone to pass in the PMP.

I read in other group last evening that a guy passed with one AT and two BT. If it is true, this reforces the rationale that in the end of the day, what will count is the total of correct answers against the 175 questions baseline.

Thanks a lot,
Fabio

Above Target - Below Target - Target (Question) - PMP ratings 7 months 2 weeks ago #30825

• Harry Elston
Fabio,

I just read that the Domain weightings is not a secret: People = 42%, Processes 50% and Business Environment 8%. That's in the Exam Content Outline.

Sorry for the mis-information there.

Harry
+++++

Above Target - Below Target - Target (Question) - PMP ratings 7 months 2 weeks ago #30826

• Beto L
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, but from my understanding, this is just the % of breakdown the content of the overall and not necessarily a weighting for scoring.

Above Target - Below Target - Target (Question) - PMP ratings 7 months 2 weeks ago #30827

• Harry Elston
Fabio,

I doubt that there are different weights for each question. We are led to believe that it's each question is worth 1 point and when you achieved N points, you pass.

It's clear that the domains are not equally weighted in the grand scheme of things. If they were, each domain would be weighted 33.3%, and that's not what we have.

Harry
+++++

Above Target - Below Target - Target (Question) - PMP ratings 7 months 2 weeks ago #30829

• Daniel Soerensen
  • Thank you received: 19
Fabio,

As Harry mentioned, no one knows what is the true passing score or how many right answers you need to pass, or how the exam is weighed. I head a lot of different versions on how PMI grades and I don't think we will every find out. My suggestion to you is go into the exam with the mindset that every question is important and you need to try get every question right. Practice, practice, practice. Wish you all the best in your studies.

Regards,
Daniel Soerensen, PMP, CSPO
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login