fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: ITTO Question and Scores

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 2 weeks ago #30799

• saba asif
  • saba asif's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone,
I am studying for the PMP exam and wanted to ask if we need to memorize the ITTO for the 49 processes? I am thinking it will be a lot to memorize (although doable) but curious if anyone encountered any ITTO questions on the exam.

Also, I have been taking the quizzes and there is a field to include the ITTO questions, should I be practicing them?

Lastly, I have been scoring a 30% on the quizzes so far and I have been studying for over 2 months now. I am finding the questions a bit hard and trying to aim for scoring at least an 80%. What do I need to score on the simulator to see if I am in a good spot to take the exam? My exam is scheduled at the end of Oct.

Any advice or response is greatly appreciated. .

Thanks!

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 2 weeks ago #30801

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi Saba,
Regarding the ITTOs, I can only speak from my own experience (PMP exam in January 2023): I don't recall there being any questions that relied on memorization of the ITTOs for the processes. It would seem that the exams in previous years (before mid-2022?) emphasized the ITTOs more than the current ones.

In the preparation course that I followed, the instructor even advised the participants not to spend precious time answering the ITTO questions in the PrepCast quizzes. I followed that advice and managed to pass AT/AT/AT on my first attempt.

I did however familiarize myself with the overall process flow (I recommend looking up Ricardo Vargas' excellent one-page "Processes Flow" schematics that I found very useful; you can find them online as PDFs). But that was about it, apart from some cursory reading of PMI texts on the subject. Our course didn't use PMBOK6 (which is far more process-heavy) at all, only PMBOK7 along with the Agile Practice Guide.

As I've written before on the forum, I found working through all of the PrepCast quiz and exam simulator questions (apart from the ITTO ones!) probably the most valuable thing that I did to be ready for the real exam. By "working through", I mean not only answering them but then afterwards reading through all of the explanations to the answers in order to understand why I got questions wrong or right. It takes time, but is ultimately worth it. Also, until I was feeling ready to start taking the simulated exams, I didn't put myself under the pressure of using the timer for the quizzes, either -- I found that that just reduced my ability to learn properly.

Since we don't know how PMI decides if a candidate has passed or not, a target percentage might be of limited value. Nevertheless, from anecdotal evidence in my group, it seems that if someone's scoring above 80% in the timed, full-length exam simulations, they are likely to go on to do well in the real thing.
But do also trust your own instincts, once you're more familiar with the material and answering questions. You'll develop a sense of whether you really know and understand the subject sufficiently to go for the real exam.

All the best in your preparations!
Dominic Hickey, PMP

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 2 weeks ago #30802

• saba asif
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you so much Dominic for the response. That definitely helps!

I really like the advice of not using timed quizzes because I want to ensure I grasp all the concepts correctly. Once I am confident, I can definitely try timed quizzes.

Appreciate your response!

Saba

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 2 weeks ago #30803

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
No worries, Saba. You're asking the right questions and it sounds like you're on the right track.

The early sessions of PrepCast quizzes can feel demoralizing, but it gets better, I assure you. I definitely felt that I was getting faster at answering the quiz questions successfully across the weeks of practice, which becomes more important as exam time approaches.

I'm not affiliated with PrepCast, but I'm happy to sing the praises of their platform and the tools within it. The kind of active learning and mental training that daily sessions of the PrepCast quiz questions provided just couldn't be achieved with conventional study methods.
Dominic Hickey, PMP

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 2 weeks ago #30809

• saba asif
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I saw your response, Dominic. Thank you for that info. However, I was not able to respond to your post, and can only see it in an email form. The link seems to have been broken. If you read this, are you able to share those posts with me that you mentioned?

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 1 week ago #30835

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Saba,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I'm not sure why replies wouldn't show up in the Forum, but the Kunena software (used as the forum platform) is sometimes quirky.
The posts I was referring to are in various threads. You might find something useful in the following:
www.project-management-prepcast.com/kune...30-to-250-mins#30706
where I go into a little more detail.
I hope that's what you were referring to. If not, don't hesitate to write again and I'll do my best to help.
Anyway, how are you progressing? Wishing you well with it all.
Dominic Hickey, PMP

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 1 week ago #30838

• saba asif
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Dominic,

Thank you for sharing the link.

So far, I am making progress. Although I have been scoring 60% consistently and trying to improve every day by taking more untimed quizzes. I eliminated ITTO from my quizzes and only focusing on the 3 domains that will be on the exam. Please correct me if I am wrong. The quiz gives you the option to select questions from the knowledge areas or from the domain, so I am skipping the knowledge areas. I wonder if they will be on the exam, though PMI lists the exam is more based off of the 3 domains.

I wanted to ask you, if this is the PMI study hall that others have mentioned to practice questions. (PMI Study Hall Plus)
www.pmi.org/certifications/certification...urces/pmi-study-hall

Thank you,
Saba

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 1 week ago #30839

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Saba,
It's been a several months since I last accessed the PrepCast quizzes so my memories of the drop-down selections are becoming fuzzy. However, what you mention sounds like what I was doing. Apart from not selecting the ITTO questions, I made sure not to include questions I'd already answered or from the exam simulator (to avoid encountering questions in the exam simulator that I would already have done), and then selected a random selection of questions, in order not to have ten or twenty questions in a row all on similar areas.

I don't know how much the content of the questions in the PrepCast platform (quiz/exam) has been modified over the years. I only used the platform for three months (Nov 2022-Jan 2023), so don't have experience of previous years. PMI's approach has changed, apparently, over the last few years, as shown by how its overall approach switched between PMBOK 6 and 7.
But my advice is not to get too bogged down in the whole knowledge areas/domains issue. Step back and look at the area of Project Management as an organic whole, then approach each quiz/exam question on its own merits, without thinking about whether it deals with a knowledge area, domain, process or whatever. The bottom line is that you want to prove to the examining body (PMI) that you are a competent and experienced project manager, which you can do by choosing the correct answers from the options for each question. It's a very limited method for assessing someone's real-world PM abilities, in my humble opinion, but that's standardized testing. (shrug)

Don't be overly concerned with your quiz scores at this stage. You are surely building up knowledge stores and understanding that reinforce your past experience. The brain is amazing at learning despite everything, so keep up the quizzing -- as well as looking up things that you find to be grey areas after the quizzes. To my knowledge, no one sees their average scores go down while practicing regularly.

One other thing I would add is that, based on my personal experience, the style and breadth of the questions in PrepCast are different to what one encounters in the PMI exam. I don't have documentary evidence to back this up, but I got the impression that the PrepCast questions cover far more ground than the PMI questions. While the PrepCast content involves a fair number of questions that require interpretation of graphical content and knowledge of formulae, my PMI exam in January was far more straightforward and almost entirely situational text-only questions, often to do with people skills and agile practices, and using barely any calculations or formulae.
This is good, in one way, in that PrepCast prepares candidates very thoroughly for every eventuality. As well as passing the certification exam, we want to improve our knowledge and understanding of project management. On the downside, I did find, personally, that the real PMI exam questions were generally vaguer and more difficult to pick a correct answer for. That meant that I found the real exam tougher than the PrepCast quizzes/exams that I'd been doing. But don't panic just yet! There's hope. Some of my course colleagues, who'd been finding the PrepCast questions harder to answer, actually found the real exam easier. This makes little sense, on the face of it. But I suspect that I wasn't at my best during the exam and therefore wasn't thinking quite as clearly as when I'd been preparing at home. They were perhaps on a good day, better rested, etc. (I still managed a good ATx3 score, so I did okay, despite the stressful exam experience.) These other colleagues all passed too, so if you're finding PrepCast quizzes challenging, you might also find the real exam less difficult.

Coming back to your question about PMI Study Hall, yes that's something to consider. It's PMI's own preparation platform, containing quizzes and mock exams written (I believe) by people who are involved in the writing of the real exam questions, along with other background/study content.
At the height of my exam preparation fever, I splashed out and paid for a subscription to their 'Essentials' package about three weeks before my exam date. However, I'll admit that I didn't use it much, since I was still working my way through the PrepCast quizzes and exams with which I was familiar.
If money and time are no issue, why not give it a try as a supplement? If your budget is tight, I wouldn't worry: plenty of people of people pass the PMP without even knowing that PMI Study Hall exists. My first experiences with it weren't positive and at that point in my preparation I was feeling that I was stretching myself too thinly. Therefore, I decided after a couple of days to concentrate on completing all of the available content from PrepCast and studying from my notes, so I barely accessed PMI Study Hall from then on.

Keep up the good work! Don't hesitate to get in touch if you have other questions or concerns.
Dominic Hickey, PMP

ITTO Question and Scores 7 months 1 week ago #30841

• saba asif
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Dominic for a very detailed and thorough answer. This definitely helps.

I will focus on understanding the concepts. I will refer back on how everything goes.

Appreciate your help!

Regards,
Saba

ITTO Question and Scores 6 months 2 weeks ago #30887

• Rafael Hoyos
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

My two cents -

I took the exam and am retaking it on November 17th. Based on my experience, you do not need to memorize all the tools, inputs, and outputs but if you have the time and the energy, I would do it. You must understand this domain extremely well, almost to the point where it would be easier to memorize it (not sure if you understand what I mean).

As you study, you will encounter that there are 19 components to the PM Plan - make sure you understand these well - where each is generated, and also which processes require the WBS as their input. For example, the Scope baseline is an output of the Create WBS process (and not the other way around), which then becomes the scope once approved and updated. Where will you use this output? Schedule, Cost, (you also need a component from Resource management in order to complete the scope before you can move on to Manage/control and validate it)... Things like that must be clear 100% ... The hardest part of the exam for me was time management. You need to be able to come up with the answer very quickly, so the material must be [extremely] clear... so.. if you are able to memorize, I would.

So: 19 Project plan components and corresponding PM processes... Formulas (don't memorize, but understand them to the point where you don't NEED to memorize). PERT, estimation techniques, schedule/duration compression techniques (when to use which), and resource optimization.

Read the glossary and make sure you are familiar with every term. Burndown/up charts, why, who sees them, when... Iteration vs. phase vs. Scrum equivalent... Project management roles,... It is all-important.

There is a great quick reference guide that you can get on Amazon. ISBN 978-1-7320557-2-8. I would get this. www.amazon.com/Velociteach-All-One-Exam-Prep/dp/0982760868
Take quizzes over and over and over and over - It is the best way to study (in my opinion).

Methods and tools for Risk management and control/quality are extremely important. Graphs, estimation techniques, .. ITs a lot, but as long as u can manage your time (~a little more than 60 seconds per question) without having to second-guess yourself, you should be fine.

Good luck !!!

ITTO Question and Scores 6 months 2 weeks ago #30905

• Beto L
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Team,

I would also want to share my experience up to now. I have been studying in the last 3 months but more consistently in the last 6 weeks.

Different from other colleagues here, I always used timed-mode to respond the questions in the Pre-Cast. I completed 93% (2.106 questions) from the bank of questions. Where it is missing now only 175 (7%) but they are purely ITTO questions.

My total accumulate average is 74%, it was growing from around 60% to 80%, then I lost some percentage when only ITTO questions started showing up.
In the 4 mock exams was growing progressively and consistently (76% - 78% - 79% - 82%)

Apart from that, I have spent considerable amount of time in reviewing the wrong answers and explanations (for the correct ones too).

I really like the way that questions and answers are made here, I learned a lot.

However....

My dillema is...

I have also bought the PMI Study Hall and it has been a disaster my performance. I just completed the 5 mock exams there and I consistently scored on 65-66%, which made me worried a lot. Apart from lower score, when I look at the answers, I don't agree with most of them. Sometimes the questions are also not clear; sometimes the answers are not clear and sometimes both are not clear. In summary, there is no way to me to improve the score there, I completed the exams and read the explanations and didn't learn...

So, my plan is to read (cover to cover) the Process Groups Guide from PMI to get a better grasp of the 49 processes and then I may take some other simulations but planning to take the exam no later than middle of Nov.

Just want to share my pains and gains here, team !

Thanks
Fabio

ITTO Question and Scores 6 months 1 week ago #30913

• Daniel Soerensen
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello Fabio,

Based on everything you laid out and the results you obtained, I would say that you are definitely ready for the exam. My take is you can continue to read and learn more, but you would be over preparing and your brain will be saturated from all the knowledge. This might lead to fatigue and not being able to recall the important topics for the exam. Having said that, only you are able to assess your readiness confidence level. All the best! Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Daniel Soerensen, PMP, CSPO

ITTO Question and Scores 6 months 2 days ago #30941

• Dominika Ratajska
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Daniel,

I see that 5th prep exam contains the information that PMI resigns from ITTOs questions, so it suggests we shouldn't focus on them. As the you mentioned is end of December - is it an officaial date of PMI to stop asking ITTO questions? I have my exam scheduled at 2nd December, so I am thinking if I should have my focus on it or totally not :)

Thank you in advance,

ITTO Question and Scores 6 months 2 days ago #30946

• You are right, Daniel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You are right, Daniel.

I started being tired about all this. I feel that I am forgetting things already.

I think I will book my exam in the last 10 days.

Thanks a lot

ITTO Question and Scores 5 months 4 weeks ago #30954

• Daniel Soerensen
Hi Dominika,

I don't think there is an official date for PMI to stop asking ITTO questions and I'm sure there will never be one. After seeing the shift in the PMBOK guide 7th edition compared to the 6th edition, and what's in the most recent exam content outline, it is safe to assume that you will not get direct ITTO questions on the exam. I have yet to come across a student that was asked direct ITTO questions. I think you should be familiar with the process laid out in PMBOK guide 6th edition and the ITTOs, but I would not spend time trying to memorize them. Personally, I would not focus too much on ITTOs. Hope this helps.

All the best,

ITTO Question and Scores 5 months 4 weeks ago #30955

• Daniel Soerensen
Fabio,

I'm sure you will do great on the exam. Sending you lots of positive energy. Remember to stay focused, don't panic, and don't think too hard about the answers. If you feel stuck, move on and come back to the question later. Take the breaks in between for some deep breathing, drink some water, stretch your arms a little, etc. You can do this! Looking forward to reading your experience post after the exam.

All the best,

ITTO Question and Scores 5 months 1 week ago #30993

• EM07
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello
Thanks for your follow - up appreciate the insight on this post.
Last edit: by EM07.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login