fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Day of the Exam Logistics?

Day of the Exam Logistics? 8 months 3 weeks ago #30741

• Jessica Hartling
  • Jessica Hartling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All! I think I clicked through the PMI website too quickly and need some help/info from some friends if possible?

If I have heard correctly, the exam no longer allows for scratch paper, is that correct? For those who have taken the exam, how do you do the "math" portions if there is no scratch paper? Is there any place to take notes, or do you just get to the "mark" the question? In addition, what about calculators? Is there one built into the tool or how does it work to try to do math?

Thanks- I am trying to replicate the experience as much as possible while I prep/practice before the exam and it would be helpful to know what to expect, but I can't seem to find the information.

Day of the Exam Logistics? 8 months 3 weeks ago #30743

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
If you are talking about doing the exam at a testing centre, it depends on the centre whether they issue scratch paper or another means of taking notes -- at least that's what I read somewhere on information supplied by PMI. It may have changed since. In my case, in January 2023, candidates were issued a small whiteboard and a couple of fine-tipped whiteboard markers each, in order to make notes. I recall hardly having to write anything on my whiteboard.

There is a calculator built into the exam software (created by Pearson VUE), which can be called up by a mouse click or keyboard shortcut. At the beginning of the exam, there is a lengthy on-screen tutorial about how to use the software, including all the shortcuts. One of the only advantages -- in my opinion -- of paying for a PMI Study Hall subscription, is that you get access through it to the Pearson VUE platform and get to do the intro tutorial and a small set of test questions as many times as you like, and generally get a feel for that particular interface. But without having seen the intro prior to the exam, you're not at any real competitive advantage. As I remember it, I didn't ever need to open the calculator during the exam -- and I'm no mental arithmetic champion! :)
Dominic Hickey, PMP
Last edit: by Dominic Hickey.

Day of the Exam Logistics? 8 months 2 weeks ago #30757

• Daniel Soerensen
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Jessica,

When I took my PMP exam at a test centre in Toronto, Canada last December, I was provided with a laminated booklet and a whiteboard marker. I never ended up using it, and I only realized I had that available after the exam. There were zero math questions on my exam, so I didn't really need to do a brain dump or write stuff down for that matter. I'd be curious to know what the test centers provide now that it's almost been a year since I took my exam. Wish you all the best in your studies.

Regards,
Daniel Soerensen, PMP, CSPO

Day of the Exam Logistics? 8 months 1 week ago #30766

• Sharika Shalveen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I completed the exam today. I was also given a laminated booklet to make notes. You can only use the booklet after you have started the exam not before that. Calculators are present on the exam itself. You can click the calculator icon if you had to do any calculations.

Day of the Exam Logistics? 8 months 1 week ago #30768

• Sharika Shalveen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Daniel,
Today I did my exam. At the center they provided me a printout at the end of the exam that said I have passed with 2/3ATs (AT/T/AT).

I checked my PMI account but it says it will take 48hrs to process my results. Does the PMI results match the results on the printouts that they give you at the center at the end of the exam?
Last edit: by Sharika Shalveen.

Day of the Exam Logistics? 8 months 1 week ago #30772

• Daniel Soerensen
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello Sharika,

Congratulations on passing the PMP exam! It's an incredible accomplishment you should feel very proud of. I would encourage to describe your experience in this forum. For me, it took longer than 48 hours for the results to appear in my PMI dashboard, but finally after about 7 days, I was able to access my exam results breakdown and it is essentially a more detailed version of the printout you received at the examination centre. I would recommend you file the printout in case you ever need it, but once you see your results and the details of how you performed on the exam, you can download the data and store it digitally. PMI only gives you one year access to your results. Hope this helps.

I saw you also wrote a similar post in another forum, so I will keep this one and delete your other post to maintain the chain of communication. In the other forum, I would love to hear more about your experience of taking the exam, what materials you used to prepare, etc.

Regards,
Daniel Soerensen, PMP, CSPO
Last edit: by Daniel Soerensen.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login