fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Number of Communication Channels

Number of Communication Channels 10 months 5 days ago #30647

• Cosmin Ionescu
  • Cosmin Ionescu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I am curious as to the approprite calculation of the number of channels when asked how many channels exist in a given scenario that include a variety of stakeholders but specifically leaves out the PM.

1. When being provided with the stakeholders for which the calculation of the number of channels is asked, and the PM and/or keyword "project team" is not included in the question, how would one best address summing up the number of stakeholders to produce the value "N" which would be used in the calculation: # of communication channels = [N(N-1)]/2? Should the PM be counted in the value of "N" anyway?

2. Furthermore, if the question states that you are the PM and are given some stakeholders to count towards the calculation of "N", would this be the case to include yourself as the PM in the calculation for the value of "N"?
Follow-up to the question above, if the question asks how many communication channels do you have as the PM, should you include yourself in the count and if yes/no, why?

3. Are there circumstances in which one would not include the PM in the calculation for "N"?

4. Lastly, I would like to thank you for providing us with the PM Prepcast Exam Formula Study Guide as it was useful in understanding the equations better. May I take a moment to recommend some of the above questions to be included and addressed within the aforementioned document?

I understand that going through every possible scenario would be time-consuming, however, if the Prepcast team would be so kind as to answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Number of Communication Channels 10 months 2 days ago #30654

• Kyle Kilbride, PMP
  • Thank you received: 49
I will preface this by saying I wouldn't expect you to encounter a question like this in your exam. Questions are usually focused on your understanding of the processes. However;

1. When being provided with the stakeholders for which the calculation of the number of channels is asked, and the PM and/or keyword "project team" is not included in the question, how would one best address summing up the number of stakeholders to produce the value "N" which would be used in the calculation: # of communication channels = [N(N-1)]/2? Should the PM be counted in the value of "N" anyway? N is the number of stakeholders and you are calculating total number of communication channels. The Project Manager should be counted, even if they're not mentioned explicitly.

2. Furthermore, if the question states that you are the PM and are given some stakeholders to count towards the calculation of "N", would this be the case to include yourself as the PM in the calculation for the value of "N"?
Follow-up to the question above, if the question asks how many communication channels do you have as the PM, should you include yourself in the count and if yes/no, why? Think about it in context of stakeholders and communication channels. Anyone that can communicate should be counted.

3. Are there circumstances in which one would not include the PM in the calculation for "N"? See answer to #2, I can't imagine any scenarios off the top of my head.
Regards,
Kyle Kilbride, P.Eng, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cosmin Ionescu

Number of Communication Channels 10 months 1 day ago #30660

• Brad Pennington, PMP
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Cosmin,
I'll agree with Kyle on this one. If the exam mentions the PM in the problem statement, then count the PM as a part of N, and vice versa. Remember that the PM is, by definition, one of the stakeholders on the project, so it would make sense to include him/her in the N calculation. All of that said, any question you see on the exam requiring you to use a formula will be very straightforward. The formula-based questions are checking that you know how to use the formula in question; they aren't trying to trick you. Best of luck on your exam!
Brad Pennington, PMP
PrepCast Community Moderator

Number of Communication Channels 10 months 1 day ago #30661

• Cosmin Ionescu
  • Cosmin Ionescu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Brad, thank you for sharing your thoughts on my questions. I figured it made sense to always include the PM in the value of N when asked about the total number of communication channels.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login