fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMI PMBOK Guide (7th Edition) vs PMI Process Groups: A Practice Guide

PMI PMBOK Guide (7th Edition) vs PMI Process Groups: A Practice Guide 10 months 1 week ago #30640

• Peter Goodier
  • Peter Goodier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Sir, Madam,

I continue my studies for the PMP exam. For this I am currently using the:

- PMP Exam Prep (11th Edition), Rita Mulcahy.
- PMI PMBOK Guide (6th Edition).
- PM PrepCast (Elite) videos.

However, I still struggle with getting a consistent pass rate on the PM Prep Cast exam simulator.

My question please. If I purchased both or either of the following, would this greatly help me pass the PMP exam:

1. PMI PMBOK Guide (7th Edition)
2. PMI Process Groups: A Practice Guide.

If I brought just one, which would be the best for my studies (I understand the content of the Process Groups: A Practice Guide, is mostly the same as that in the PMBOK Guide (6th Edition) – but I could be incorrect here).
Best.
Peter

PMI PMBOK Guide (7th Edition) vs PMI Process Groups: A Practice Guide 10 months 1 week ago #30641

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Peter,

Take a look at the Exam Prep guide on PMI for definitive information on resource materials. I took the exam under PMBOK 6 so it was pretty straightforward for me. I know how "I" would approach it but your mileage may vary substantially:

1. Look at the necessary resources from PMI (Exam guide or whatever it's called).
2. I needed extra understanding for project management vocabulary, so I used a reference called "Head First." Rita's work would also be useful there.
3. PrepCast videos were key for me. I would use them in conjunction with both the PMBOK and Head First, to get an understanding of the inter-connectivity of processes with the necessary Project Management vocabulary.

Do not worry about your simulator scores at the beginning. I used the simulator to get an idea of the phrasing and how the questions were going to be asked. The last 4 weeks before the exam were a deep dive in improving my scores on the simulator. I finally got sick of it all when I was hitting about 78-82% on the simulator and took the exam then.

Hope that helps

H
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

PMI PMBOK Guide (7th Edition) vs PMI Process Groups: A Practice Guide 10 months 2 days ago #30657

• Daniel Soerensen
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Peter,

Although it's good to read and have a general understanding of the PMBOK Guide 6th Ed, I would encourage you to use the 7th Ed and the Agile Practice Guide as your key study books. Of course, I would also use the PrepCast videos and the Exam Simulator to put it all together. There are other helpful links on YouTube and other sites regarding Agile methodology which I also found very useful. If you read some of the entries in this forum you can see what others are doing to prepare for the PMP exam and successfully pass it. Hop this helps.

Regards,
Daniel Soerensen, PMP, CSPO
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login