Welcome, Guest
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Control Charts - Rule of Seven

Control Charts - Rule of Seven 6 years 8 months ago #1317

• Orkun Toros
  • Fresh Boarder
I am confused about the "out of control" process indication on a control chart. According to my knowledge, a process is out of control if:

-A data point falls outside of the upper or lower control limits.
-7 data points in a row fall above or below the mean.
-7 data points in a row trending up or down (crossing the mean).

The PMBOK Guide (8.2.3 page 196) states that "a process is considered out of control when a data point exceeds a control limit or if seven consecutive points are above or below the mean". I listened PrepCast 08.04 and it also said that "Seven times fall onto the same side of the mean-->Investigate".

As I understood from the language in the PMBOK Guide and the PrepCast, if out of 7 consecutive data points, 4 fall under and 3 fall above the mean, the process should not be counted as out of control.

I surely will take whatever PMBOK Guide says but I wanted to verify first.

Thanks so much,

Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Orkun Toros. Reason: Corrected sentence
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Michael DeCicco, Rahul Kakkar, Fernando Jr Sinlao Lim, Jeremy Raelin, Mary Kathrine Padua, Yasir Mehmood, Chris Preziotti, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP