fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Insights on design on PMP exam

Insights on design on PMP exam 10 months 2 weeks ago #30608

• Lukasz Pawelec
  • Lukasz Pawelec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I tried today the test exam by Prepcast and would have a few questions on the design of the exam:

1. Is there any mapping / rule of how of questions from 10 Knowledge Areas are mapped against 3 Domains (People, Process and Business Environment)?

2. Is my assumption right that majority of questions from Domain People are referenced / mapped with Resources & Stakeholder Management knowledge areas?

3. What is the Knowledge area / sources of questions from Business Environment Domain?

4. On one hand 70% is passing threshold set in PrepCast for training reasons, on the on the other hand, if I am right PMI does not openly state what are the thresholds for passing PMP exam.
Would it be right to assume that 70% is passing score for real PMP exam?

5. Is there any rule saying that if one domain goes under target score but 2 other are above the target score the final result might be still passing?

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

I attached screenshots

Thank in advance for your support.

Regards,
Lukasz

Insights on design on PMP exam 10 months 2 weeks ago #30610

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 604
Lukasz,

Here are my answers... however... you are not going to like them, because PMI does not officially give any of the details you are asking about:

1. Please refer to The PMP Exam Content Outline www.pm-prepcast.com/pmpoutline where you can see on page 2 how the percentages are set across all 3 domains. There is no mapping against the 10 knowledge areas, because those are part of the PMBOK Guide and the PMP exam is NOT a test of the PMBOK Guide.

2. PMI does not make any statements other than the percentages per domain. Again, there is no cross referencing against the Knowledge Areas possible because that is NOT what the PMP exam tests.

3. PMI has an official list of PMP exam reference materials. You can find them here www.pmi.org/certifications/project-manag...pmp-exam-preparation (scroll down). However, we cannot say which book they use for the domain you ask.

4. Sorry, but your assumption is wrong. The only correct statement is that in our exam simulator we have set 70% as the passing score and PMI does not officially say what their passing score is.

5. There is no such rule. What PMI does say is that NI, BT and AT are here for general guidance and that the totality of the score counts. And that's pretty much what we are seeing... there have been students with "bad" results in two domains, but with an excellent result in the third domain, so they still passed, since it is the total score of all questions that determines if you have an overall pass or fail.

I'm really sorry that I have to give you such "vague" answers, but the truth is simply that really only PMI knows the answers, and they are silent.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lukasz Pawelec
Last edit: by Cornelius Fichtner.

Insights on design on PMP exam 10 months 2 weeks ago #30624

• Lukasz Pawelec
  • Lukasz Pawelec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you Cornelius for timely answer,

All your answers all clear,

Regards,
Lukasz
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login