fbpx

Reply: Would planning and launching an event be considered managing a project?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Would planning and launching an event be considered managing a project?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
1 year 2 months ago #30232

Harry Elston

Dear Anon:

By your description, it sounds as though it could go either way: "Rebranding" - a larger project or "Website development" + "Rebranding Event" as two smaller projects. Understand that if you're trying to count this towards PMP Certification application, there are special rules associated with concurrent projects so you do not over-count the time involved.

Harry
1 year 2 months ago #30231

Daniel Soerensen

Hello,

The PMBOK Guide 7th Edition defines project management as the application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements. By planning and managing the launching of a new website, it definitely sounds like you are applying certain skills, tools and techniques to do that in which case I would consider this as managing a project. If the same can be said for planning and managing the organization of a sporting event, then you are also managing a project. A project is defined as a temporary endeavour undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result (PMBOK Guide 7th Ed), and based on your description, the launching of the website and the sporting event would be considered a unique product and result. Even if a project is low in complexity, duration, number of resources, budget, etc it is still considered a project if you are creating a unique product, service or result. I hope this helps answer your question.

All the best.
1 year 2 months ago #30221

[email protected]

's Avatar

I need help please! In an attempt to boost a family business (resort), I was asked to plan and manage a series of marketing rebrands including: launching a new website (with new logo) and managing a sporting event hosted by the company. Would this count towards project management experience? Would this fall under 1 project (company rebranding) or have to be split into 2 different projects? I am not sure if an event can be considered a project in this sense.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login