fbpx

Reply: difference between Project Lifecycle and Development Approach.

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : difference between Project Lifecycle and Development Approach.

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
2 years 1 month ago #29090

Peter Goodier

Thank You Lisa this very much helps me.
2 years 1 month ago #29067

Lisa Sweeney PMP

Hi Peter,

A Guide To The Project Management Body Of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), 7th Edition, defines and details the Development Approach and Life Cycle Performance as the third of eight Project Performance Domains.

Development Approach. A method used to create and evolve the product, service, or result during the project life cycle, such as a predictive, iterative, incremental, adaptive, or hybrid method (PMBOK® Guide, 7th Edition, page 239).

Project Life Cycle. The series of phases that a project passes through from it start to its completion (PMBOK® Guide, 7th Edition, page 245).

More importantly for the PMP exam, a new section in the PMBOK® Guide, 7th Edition is dedicated to tailoring development approaches and processes. The following four steps are illustrated (PMBOK® Guide, 7th Edition, page 137).
  1. Select Initial Development Approach
    Choose a development approach that is appropriate for the work at hand.

2. Tailor for Organization
    Consider the organizational requirements in modifying the approach.

3. Tailor for Project
    Consider the size, importance, and other critical factors of the project when making adjustments to the approach.

4. Implement Ongoing Improvement
    Monitor the progress and adapt the process where necessary.

Finally, see also the importance of project deliverables in relation to Development Approach and Life Cycle (PMBOK® Guide, 7th Edition, page 46).

Hope this helps in your understanding of Project Performance Domain, Development Approach and Life Cycle.

I wish you the best, Peter!
Lisa Sweeney, PMP
2 years 1 month ago #29059

Anonymous

's Avatar

Thank you for this Graham much appreciated. This helps me for my continued studies. Best.
2 years 1 month ago #29054

Graham Deacon

The project lifecycle is the distinct phases that a project progresses through , Initiation through to close ( the 5 process groups). Development approach is how you deliver your project, i.e. Predictive, Agile hybrid methodology etc
2 years 1 month ago #29050

Peter Goodier

Hi,
Seeking help please. I am around 80% though my PMP studies but still puzzled on what is probably a simple matter. I have read conflicting interpretations - this being the difference between Project Lifecycle and Development Approach.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login