fbpx

Reply: PMP Guidance and expectation assistance

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Guidance and expectation assistance

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
2 years 2 months ago #28963

Brad Pennington, PMP

Stephanie,

Unless it’s changed since I applied in spring 2020, the 35 credit hours are specifically coursework related, so they must be verifiable with a transcript. For mine, I used 33 hours from a masters-level project management course (this was the number of hours that I actually spent in class over one term) and another 14 hours from a Leading Project Teams course from a corporate university. The actual project management time required was 4,000 hours I think, so given your 5+ years of project management, this should be a breeze for you. I had about the same when I applied and I didn’t include some of my projects. Once you build up to the required 4,000 hours in the online application, it locks such that you can’t enter any morE data. No extra credit. Hope this helps!
2 years 2 months ago #28962

Stephanie Brookes

's Avatar

I think it's likely I'm the one confused (still)! have 5+ years experience managing projects full time, so plenty of PDUs I can apply towards my cert app. I think my confusion lies in whether the 35 hours being required is drawn from that, or whether it's "PMP test prep" hours specifically. I thought it was the latter, and I don't yet have those hours from PMP prepcast and practice exam studies.
2 years 2 months ago #28958

Brad Pennington, PMP

Stephanie, my apologies, I think I may have misunderstood your original question. For project management-related credit hours, yes, you must have those complete and verifiable before you lock in the exam date. In my case, I already had those hours from grad school, so I was able to use the PrepCast PDUs toward my first 3-year certification. My apologies for leading you down the wrong path!
2 years 2 months ago #28957

Stephanie Brookes

's Avatar

Hey Brad- just a quick follow up to our discussion. I tried to go the route you did and get an exam date locked in, and then work backwards with my study program. It turns out you cannot register for/submit an application for the exam without the 35 credit hours already in the bag. I am assuming this must have changed, as another PMP certified individual suggested I do what you did. Oh well!
2 years 2 months ago #28910

Stephanie Brookes

's Avatar

Thanks Brad! I am grateful you're so responsive and helpful on your own time! I have access to the full Prepcast suite so I am planning to utilize the simulator as much as possible and hope for the best!
2 years 2 months ago #28903

Brad Pennington, PMP

Stephanie,

In my opinion, if you’re under some time pressure and you’re diligently working through the PrepCast units, you could probably skip the PMBOK completely. Cornelius does a fantastic job thoroughly covering the PMBOK material in his lectures, so you’re right, using the physical PMBOK as well may be overkill. I can’t stress enough that you should also be using an exam simulator. I’m not being compensated by PrepCast for writing these posts, so I’m not trying to sell their products. Having used the PrepCast Exam Simulator throughout my entire study plan, I can confidently say that I wouldn’t have passed the exam without it. Another great reference is the PrepCast formula sheet. I used this to memorize the EVM and schedule management formulas, and then practiced writing my “dump sheet” during the first 5 minutes of each timed practice exam. If you’re doing regular timed exams and quizzes, using the PrepCast lectures, and working a study guide, this should be plenty given your limited time available.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login