fbpx

Reply: When do you terminate a project? unattainable schedule or deliverable

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : When do you terminate a project? unattainable schedule or deliverable

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 1 month ago #26361

Sharon S

That is a good way at looking at it; be proactive and productive. Every scenario will be different or worded differently. Looking at it from that perspective will head me in the right direction. Thank you!
3 years 1 month ago #26353

Kyle Kilbride, PMP

The only advice I can give is to look for the most proactive and productive answer. For instance if you know the schedule baseline is not attainable but you have the option to submit a change request that would likely be the best option provided there aren't any other competing factors. Remember, you are responsible for executing the project and meeting project goals. If you are faced with an impossible sounding scenario and there is no way to recover for a project constraint, then the best option may be termination. I would agree that a PM cannot unilaterally terminate a project, but they would provide this recommendation - and that's what the question may be hinting at. If you determine a key objective can't be met from the charter, then it is certainly possible that the project is no longer of value to continue.

This can be a very fuzzy topic, so keep practicing and please follow up if we can help.

Kyle
3 years 1 month ago #26346

Sharon S

As I take quizzes in the 2021 simulator I've come across questions where the answer was "give up" and notify the stakeholder that the objective was unattainable. Then there was one that the answer was terminate project (saying that was the best choice but had the choice to notify the stakeholder, then notify stakeholder would be the preferred choice since PMs can't terminate a project without approval. But how will I know when it comes to answering a question on the exam? In the example above, I knew PMs can't terminate so I didn't pick that and my answer was wrong and that the correct answer was Terminate project. Another example is where there is no way an objective cannot be met, then terminate project. Whereas if the schedule was unattainable, then the answer was submit C/R to modify schedule baseline. If approved, go forward. If denied, then may inform stakeholder that it is unattainable and stakeholder would have to decide to terminate project.

Please advise
3 years 1 month ago #26345

Kyle Kilbride, PMP

Hi Sharon,

I would argue that neither of the two reasons you shared are legitimate reasons to immediately terminate a project. If the schedule or deliverable is determined to be unattainable this would be communicated to the sponsor along with realistic expectations and mitigation plans. You would also need to have a good understanding of what assumptions fed into the original schedule / deliverable dates, and if there are any constraints to those dates. In the end the sponsor may agree to the new date, or if the constraints are too rigid potentially agree that the project should be terminated. But termination is certainly not the first step and there are several options available to the project team.

Kyle
3 years 1 month ago #26337

Sharon S

When do you terminate a project? unattainable schedule or deliverable? What's the difference?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login