fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: what comes before or after each process

what comes before or after each process 3 years 1 month ago #26329

• Anthony Jhosset González Rodríguez
  • Anthony Jhosset González Rodríguez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, is there any training material where I can learn what step or process comes after/before another? I know that the groups of processes and areas of knowledge do not have a set order as we observed in the Table 1-4 Project Management Process Group and Knowledge Area Mapping in the PMBOK, for example: project schedule can be created only after creating the WBS. Do you understand what I mean? Sometimes, I have some doubts about what comes before or after each process, so I think a good way to know it is we have a step by step sequence. For instance, first creating a business case, after that creating project charter, then list of activities…. etc. Can someone help or guide me?
Thanks in advance,

Anthony

what comes before or after each process 3 years 1 month ago #26331

• Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP
  • Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP's Avatar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi Anthony.

I believe that the most important step towards mastery of the process group and knowledge areas is to understand what each knowledge area/process group is and what it does and how it relates to all the others. This may sound straight forward and obvious but it is the key. Once this is done it will be easier to remember which one comes before which. For example, Acquire Resources should come before Develop Team. This is because you first need team members before you can think about developing them. I agree that not all relationships are linear and sequential and mastery of such requires consistent study. A good place to start is page 25 of the PMBOK Guide 6th Edition. Constantly study this table until you draw and write it out from memory. This will go a long way in improving your understanding of the process groups and knowledge areas.
Eric Wanyutu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracey Sleighter
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login