fbpx

Reply: Is this a good time to start prep?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Is this a good time to start prep?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 2 months ago #26152

Harry Elston

ismaek:

First - apologies for mis-spelling your name yesterday. Tiny screen and older eyes.

From what I've been seeing, yes, there is more agile practice involved in the test. But, also from what I'm seeing, it is not beyond or far beyond what is found in the Agile Practice Guide. I would be more concerned with the style of questions and the new format if you were familiar enough with the Agile Practice Guide.

It is my understanding that the PrepCast (here) has an updated exam simulator. Based on success of the previous exam simulator, I would strongly recommend using that to get familiar with the style and thinking of the exam.

I cannot comment on Rita's prep book. For the 2019 exam, I used a combination of PrepCast, Exam Simulator and a workbook called "Head First." I also had, what I consider, a very good study technique that I learned as an adjunct professor at a community college called "circular study." The process is explained here in my "Lessons Learned" post:

www.project-management-prepcast.com/kune...t-multiple-resources

Good luck!

Harry
3 years 2 months ago #26146

Ismaek

's Avatar

Thank you Harry, that is very useful.

I understand that the new exam is based on PMBOK 6 but actually has quite a lot of additional content and a bit of a refresh so quite honestly I do not know how to prepare it!

I have been highly recommended the Rita prep book which I believe has released a new edition to cover the new exam, however without new resources released from PMI and no visibility of the actual exam questions I think the book update cannot be more than an intuition and I am bit doubtful that it is a good resource.

Anyway, thanks again and looking forward to get your (and others) thoughts!

Ismael
3 years 2 months ago #26132

Harry Elston

Ismael,

If you wait for PMI to get done with changing things or talking about changing things, you will not be taking the PMP for....well, forever. The PMBOK is updated every 3-5 years and the exam recent exam change will be around for the foreseeable future, simply because PMBOK 7 won't be out until late 2021 (my best guess). Then, given the track record of exam changes at PMI, it will take at least a year to revamp the exam to align with PMBOK 7.

Preparing for the PMP exam takes 12-16 weeks of rather intensive study, on average. If it were me, I'd set a date for early April, study and take the exam.

Harry
3 years 2 months ago #26123

Ismael

's Avatar

Hi,

I have been thinking in preparing the PMP exam for a while, however I was thinking whether this is actually a good time considering the recent changes to the exam outline and the new PMBOK edition meant to be released soon.

Thank you

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login