fbpx

Reply: Loss the Game - Recap

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Loss the Game - Recap

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 2 months ago #25764

Duon Martin

's Avatar

That sucks! I would think that there would be a promotion behind going through this brutal punishment to sit for this exam. I'm doing it as a personal goal for myself. My company is just now starting to promote this certification. Once I obtain this certification, I'm hoping to makes some moves within my company and negotiate my next increase in salary. Although this journey has been stressful working towards obtaining this certification, I'm having a little fun with it along the way and I've been learning something new just about everyday. The more and more that I read and take mock exams, the more I realize how much that my company and management team has been using the wrong approach according to PMI far as applying key principles associated with project management
3 years 2 months ago #25758

Sharon S

I am forming a study group. You are always welcomed to join at any time. My boss is making it a requirement for me so I have to take it. Probably no financial increase for e either though.
3 years 2 months ago #25756

Tilak Gamage

Hi Martin - Thank for sharing your story. I know it is hard work. I also reserved a center and it was closed for COVID and end up taking test from home. As I said, the midway mishap messed me up and second half had too many long questions and I had sweep through the weeds to get the key words - something one could not do in one minute. I had two questions PDM and each had 3 paths and 8 nodes, and you have to find critical path in one minute in electronic white board with mouse pen. I am not sure if that is the way PM should solve problems in real life. But for PMP, PMBOK is right and we need to do it.
New test format has 50% agile content and rest in traditional. This means, it can be more complicated. I will not rush to take it but seriously think if it really worth the effort. As I said above for Sharon, it will be well worth for you. Failure is a stepping stone for the success. Take a step backward and leap forward.
Thanks
Tilak
3 years 2 months ago #25755

Tilak Gamage

Hi Sharon - Thanks for sharing your story. I always take failure as a first step to the success. At the same time, I want to rethink carefully if this is really what I want to do. Does PMP make me a better project manager? My Engineer/Project manager job will be the same anyway. Does PMP give me 25% pay increase or higher position. None likely to happen in my job. New exam has 50% agile content that means, more studies, more preparation. Since I invested some time and money and came long way, I might give it a try one more time. However, I do not want to burn myself too much, take easy approach and target 3-4 months ahead.
I will post again a note, once I come to a conclusion, may be in 2 weeks.
Take a rest and give a good though- remember benefit cost analysis. It might be best for you to do it.
Thanks
Tilak
3 years 2 months ago #25707

Sharon S

Hello, I also took the exam on the 28th and failed. The first half of the exam I felt good about but took too much time. The second half I had to rush through and then when they switched proctors the second proctor said she couldn't see my video feed so she stopped the test and then re-connected. I didn't lose time since the clock also stopped but it broke my concentration and I got flustered for the rest of the exam. I am starting a study group if you're interested. I plan to re-take the exam in March (or Apr) depending on how ready I am. If you're interested in studying together, let me know.
3 years 2 months ago #25701

Duon Martin

Hello Tilak! I lost the game on DEC 28th as well. I was extremely nervous going into the exam center. I chose to take the test at a center rather than at home because I have 3 kids, a wife, and a little shitzu that won't leave me alone and it will be hard to lock myself away for 4hrs. I felt that I was very prepared going into the exam. I took 4 mock exams where I averaged an 80% on, but that was after take the mock exams twice. On my first attempts I got around 55%. I reviewed the questions that I got wrong and guessed at and made flash cards. I labeled sandwich bags for each exam and as I took an exam I placed the flash cards inside the bag and referred to them for studying purposes preparing for the 2nd attempt. The questions on the exam was really long and often found myself struggling to figure out where I was in the question far as which domain, process, knowledge area, etc... I felt like the prepcast simulator prepared me for the test as well. I wish I would have discovered it a lot earlier in my studies. It wasn't until I purchased the simulator that I started to really dive into the PMBOK. Are you going to try to retake the exam this year or wait until 2021?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login