fbpx

Reply: Contingency plan and fallback plan

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Contingency plan and fallback plan

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 4 months ago #24709

Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP

Thank you, Gabriella. I have noticed that there are a few discrepancies between Rita Mulcahy's book and PMBOK guide.
3 years 4 months ago #24703

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Hi Rahul,

While a prep book can be useful, my recommendation - when in doubt - is to follow the PMBOK Guide.
Anyway, the glossary at the end of the PMBOK Guide defines the fallback plan as an alternative set of actions and tasks available in the event that the primary plan needs to be abandoned (because of issues, risks, or other causes). See also Section 11.5.3.3, besides the references Lu suggested.

Hope this helps,

Gabriella
3 years 4 months ago #24607

Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP

Ah, I see. Thank you. Rita Mulcahy's book tells otherwise. In the book, a fallback plan is mentioned as the plan you develop if the contingency plan didn't work as expected.
3 years 4 months ago #24598

Lu Bai

Hi, the Contingency plan is the Fallback plan. See PMBOK 11.5, p439, the paragraph right above 11.5.1.
This concept is also in PMBOK 11.5.2.6.
Whenever I had a question, I found going back to PMBOK is really helpful. Plus, I use the electronic copy so I can search easily.
3 years 4 months ago #24596

Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP

Hi,

I have a question. Is the contingency plan and fallback plan created together as part of 'Plan Risk Responses'? Or is a fallback plan created only if the contingency plan is found to be not fully effective in the 'Monitor Risks' process?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login