fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Brain dump

Brain dump 3 years 5 months ago #24588

• Harleen Sharma
  • Harleen Sharma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have booked the exam at a testing center. In terms if brain dump, can someone please advise if a paper and pen will be allowed? Or will I have to do it on their digital whiteboard? Please help!

Brain dump 3 years 5 months ago #24599

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Harleen,

I would not say "paper and pen" I would, rather say, "Something to write with and something to write on." When I took my PMP Exam in Oct 2019, I was given a mostly dried out, blunt, dry-erase marker and a laminated sheet of legal paper (8.5"x14" in the US) to do any writing. I quickly found that "brain dump" was not viable.

Also, "brain dumping" burns time in the exam now.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harleen Sharma

Brain dump 3 years 5 months ago #24610

• Michael Rooney
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
No paper no pen,they supply calculator,whiteboard,notes.

Brain dump 3 years 5 months ago #24612

• Javier, PMP
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I took my exam in the exam center here in Singapore, it is only a laminated sheet of paper that is slightly larger than A4. As the other side has the rules and regulations from Pearson Vue, basically I can only use 1 page. A fine tip white board was supplied, but it smudged my hand and the sheet and a bit to the table! I only drew out the Table 1-1 grid and didn't bother to write the process groups as there are not enough space and it smudges. So you need to know Table 1-1 and draw out in your mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harleen Sharma

Brain dump 3 years 5 months ago #24627

• Harleen Sharma
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I am confused. I have read everywhere that candidates should practice brain dumping. But if they don't give you anything to write with (as in a pen), then why does everyone advise that you should try brain dumping. Where does one write the formulas?

Brain dump 3 years 5 months ago #24628

• Harleen Sharma
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Javier, thanks for responding. When you say "fine tip white board", did you mean a marker? So you had to draw with a marker on the laminated paper? I know when you opt to take the exam from home, they allow you to make notes on a digital whiteboard.

Brain dump 3 years 5 months ago #24631

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Harleen,

Given that (1) you're burning exam time during a brain dump and (2) you probably won't be given decent writing materials to do one, I really suggest forgoing it and not relying on it for the exam. With respect to the formulas, you WILL need to know the basic earned value formulas and know how to manipulate them. It will be more important, however, to UNDERSTAND the definitions of each term in the performance indicator formulates, not just memorize them.

Also, with respect to the formulas, my advice is to do about 100 earned value/project estimating math problems and you should be set. I think the PrepCast had such a handout, but I cannot remember.

Best,

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

Brain dump 3 years 5 months ago #24638

• Harleen Sharma
  • Harleen Sharma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you Harry. This is very helpful.

[email protected] 3 years 4 months ago #24794

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I just took the test and failed.
In the USA it is electronic. So you are supplied a calculator, white board, highlighters, strike through, etc,through the testing software. So you could brain dump.
Hardly any formula questions. Just basic EV.
Best,
Mike

[email protected] 3 years 4 months ago #24829

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Sorry to hear that you failed, Mike. Will you take it again?
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login