fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Understanding or remembering DFD/ITTO

Understanding or remembering DFD/ITTO 3 years 5 months ago #24011

• Fahad Ghani
  • Fahad Ghani's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, I am working hard to take PMP in about 5 weeks. At what level do we need to know about the tools & techniques? e.g. Critical path in Schedule Management

a. Definition level= in Network diagram, through PDM/AON, path with longest duration? Question: Which of the following best describes a Critical path?

b. Detailed understanding: Must be able to define & calculate Critical path and find out float, early & late start/finish, etc.

Most of the people have recommended that I don't need to remember all the ITTOs (around 500) which I think is wise. Mostly they suggest understanding Data Flow Diagram (DFD) of each process. But, at the same time you can not really answer questions if you don't remember by heart most of DFD/ITTOs, e.g. "What-if Analysis" (T&T from Data analysis) is used in Develop Schedule & Control Schedule albeit differently. I am able to understand that Data Analysis techniques are used in developing schedules but I tend to forget the exact names & count, as only Develop Schedule introduced about 10 new T&T.

What is the "sweet-spot" to understanding and remembering DFD/ITTO.?

Understanding or remembering DFD/ITTO 3 years 5 months ago #24027

• Jack Lee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi I am facing the same problem here, people always say you don't need to memorize the ITTO; however, in most of the questions, they ask what action will you take first, what is before /after this action?
you need to memorize all the ITTO to solve these questions.
and not just ITTO,
you also need to memorize all the theory and method:
- Motivation - Hygiene theory
- Benefit measurement methods, etc.
because you also see questions like, which is not considered as a hygiene factor in below choices..

To me, 50% of it is a memorization exam rather than just scenario questions.
These are the parts I struggle most too
Last edit: by Jack Lee.

Understanding or remembering DFD/ITTO 3 years 5 months ago #24040

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Jack and Farad:

I think you're missing the forest for the trees. Step back and look at the PMBOK Guide from the 5000-foot level.

With regards to IITOs. There are a set of ITTOs that are common to just about all the processes. (e.g. "meetings.") Ignore trying to "memorize" common things. Look for the unique ITTOs for the process.

With respect to data flow diagrams: You should be able to reproduce Table 1-4 in seconds. This table really is the master key to the PMBOK Guide. I learned it by creating flash cards with each process name on them and practiced arranging them in order.

When I took my PMP exam, there were very few specific ITTO questions in the form of "what is an output of XXXX process" or "what tool/technique would the PM use for..." ITTO scenarios were given for the PM on which Tool/Technique would be most applicable to a specific situation such as conflict on the team or with a supplier/client.

Yes, there is a lot of memorization, but that is the way of this exam, but I found the questions to just about all be scenario based.

Good luck!
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login