fbpx

Reply: Management Processes: Tasks vs. Processes

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Management Processes: Tasks vs. Processes

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 4 months ago #24513

Debra Bennett

Whew, thanks for clarifying. I was starting to freak out just a little lol.
3 years 4 months ago #24502

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

No, Debra, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I mean that the final examination report will show how you performed (on target/below/above target) in each task of the 5 domains.

Gabriella
3 years 4 months ago #24439

Debra Bennett

Hi Gabriella,

Thanks for responding. When you say we will be evaluated at the end of the exam, do you mean we will be tested on the tasks for each domain as well? Will this assessment impact the overall score?
3 years 4 months ago #24436

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Hi Debra,

sorry I missed your message. Now I understand where my confusion came from: you were referring to the Exam Content Outline, while I had Table 1-4 in mind from the PMBOK Guide, referring to the processes grouped by Process Group and Knowledge Area. Of course there is a match between the two, but they provide a slightly different perspective. In fact, the way I looked at the Exam Content Outline is some sort of reference guide (a syllabus, if you will) of what you need to know in each of those five domains, in terms of knowledge and skills, and what we as PM are expected to do; at the end of your PMP exam you will receive an evaluation in each domain, detailed at the task level.
If you take (say) the stakeholder identification, this is part of Task 3 in Domain I; at the same time, the process that guides you through this "task" is the Identify Stakeholder process (13.1). Here you have a detailed list of inputs (i.e., what you need to perform this process); tools & techniques (i.e., how to perform this process); output (i.e., what this process brings as a result).

While the project charter is typically developed at the beginning of the project, the "Identify Stakeholders" process is performed periodically throughout the project. In this respect, it is not an "action item" that you tick once you are done with it, as you may need to go through this process again at different times while the project is ongoing.

Hope this clarifies a bit the difference between the two.

Gabriella
3 years 4 months ago #24292

Debra Bennett

Hi Gabriella,

I apologize for the delay. You are correct, the two "action items" I was referring to are the two process, 4.1 develop project charter and 13.1 identify stakeholders. The 8 tasks I'm referring to are under Domain 1: Initiating.

I think I finally understand the difference....I think my confusion derived from my interpretation of the processes stated above; I was essentially viewing them as action items that needed to be completed and not processes that I needed to go through. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the tasks listed in the Initiating Domain are the things that need to be done in charter development and stakeholder identification...correct?
3 years 5 months ago #23798

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Hi Debra,

for sure Table 1-4 is essential in the PMP exam preparation. However, I don't want to misunderstand what your question is about.
I believe the 2 "action items" (as you called them) in the Initiating process group refer to the two processes belonging to this process group; namely, Develop Project Charter, and Identify Stakeholders.
What are the 8 tasks you are referring to as being associated with the Initiating process group?

Gabriella

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login