fbpx

Reply: Benefits Realization Plan

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Benefits Realization Plan

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 6 months ago #23465

Elizabeth Harrin

Hi Donna
In 'real life' the benefits and documentation should all align, so I would make sure the benefits from the business case are carried through to the BRP. I would list the 'high level' benefits at organisational level and then continue my document saying in more detail how this project helped achieve those (because it might not achieve all of them, for example if it was part of a programme and other projects were working on other benefits). The BRP benefits are mentioned in the Charter (in my experience) because they are the main reason for initiating the project. Then you can go down into the next level.
To answer #2, no in my experience there is not a BRP for every project. Sometimes there are barely benefits documented at all! But as the PM it's always worth asking the question because let's hope someone has already thought through why we are doing the project.
Stakeholder analysis will identify benefits owners and then you use your stakeholder engagement activities and comms plan to work with them as you would do any other stakeholder.
Hope that helps!
3 years 6 months ago #23452

Harry Elston

Donna,

This came across my feed as a "Not responded to message." Unfortunately, I do not have insight on your questions, so I will leave it to the other moderators to answer.

Harry
3 years 6 months ago #23418

Donna Heagan

Benefit Realization Plan is the Mother Benefit Plan that is put together at any given time by organization key stakeholders and they end up choosing 3 - 5 major benefits the organization wants to achieve during a time period.
From these benefits, projects are chosen by the key stakeholders to bring these organizational benefits to realization.
Now the PM's Project- the tool to achieve the BRP's benefit/s : During conceptual idea stage of a project the key stakeholders, sponsor, initiator, could be also PM, experts, customer, etc,
they form a Business Case listing project benefits with project benefit owners for the project.
Then a Benefits Management Plan is formed by them which elaborates these same project benefits further and again listing project benefit owners.
( I'm feeling there are two sets of benefits - organizational ones in BRP and project ones in Project Bus Docs)
Questions:
1. Does the Benefit Realization Plan's organizational benefit/s that initiated the project, is this benefit/s also listed with the project's benefits in the Business Case and in the Benefits Man Plan?
Or just in the Charter as stated in the lecture? It seems BRP benefits should be listed in all three docs.
2. Is the Benefit Realization Plan one of the Business Docs for EVERY PROJECT?
4. How is the communication link established between the BRP's benefit owner and the PM established? Project Charter and Communication Plan? In the case if the PM needs to escalate an issue or concern about a benefit.
I've taken two course in Project Management and this is a new concept and sooooo VIP. I want to get it right. Just need to know how to connect the dots. :) Donna

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login