fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP on 1st Attempt: Tips & Material That Worked for Me

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP on 1st Attempt: Tips & Material That Worked for Me

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 7 months ago #22934

Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP

Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP's Avatar

Congratulations Beverly Hazelwood!

Well done! And thank you for sharing your reference materials. This will indeed be helpful to the many aspiring PMP's.
3 years 7 months ago #22919

Beverly Hazelwood

Reference Material
1. PMP Exam Prep Simplified: Based on PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition 6th Edition by Andrew Ramdayal
• Follows the PMBOK chapters but is a much easier read.
• I made extensive notes including the Exam tips which were helpful
• Completed all quizzes and 1 mock exam.

2. PMP Exam Study Guide: Belinda's Program for Exam Success 6th Edition
by Belinda S Goodrich
• I added exam tips to my previous extensive notes.
• Glossary and related test were good.
• Provided lots of tips to remember concepts that would stick in your mind.
• Lots of test for topics, glossary and mock exam with access to the same exam online for 3 months with purchase of book.

3. PMPBOK 6th Edition – used free (as a PMI member) online PDF only as a reference only.
Videos:
• Aileen Ellis YouTube videos. This was one of the best items that I used during the last week before the exam. She provides valuable tips on answer elimination, best selection based on what PM should do or should have done, etc. This is a must do series of videos.

PMP Mock Exams (for a fee):
1. PM Prepcast Exam Simulator – Yes it is totally worth the fee. I got it with a small discount.
a. The value is the detail explanation of why the answer is correct and why the other choices are incorrect with exact references to the PMBOK.
b. Took 7 Full exams and countless time quizzes. On the last 2 days, I took 100 question quizzes (Random including ITTOs).
c. The ability to have quizzes based on questions that were previously answered incorrectly was a great learning tool (for me).

2. App: PMI PMP – PMP Exam Prep – used it on my phone. Great quizzes by Knowledge Area and 5 mock exams with explanations as you progress thru the questions.

Test Day
• Viewed more Aileen videos but did not take any more quizzes or mock exams.
• My exam was at a Test Center. I was given a set of 4 dry erase sheets with an Expo fine tip pen for notes. I spent 8 minutes on a brain dump of the process, major outputs and some formulas. Rarely referred to formulas.
• The exam is divided into 2 parts. Questions 1-89 and then 90 -200. An optional 10-minute break is between the 2 sections. You will not be able to go back to the 1st 89 questions after the break.
• 90% situational questions. I have a PSM (Professional Scrum Master) certification. Ironically had no Agile question.
In my opinion, PM Prepcast, Aileen’s videos and God were the most instrumental resources for me passing the PMP exam on the 1st attempt.
My suggestion for everyone is to try and take the 6th edition instead of the next edition. I believe starting Jan 2021 the next edition exam is going to be more like the PSM exam with multiple best answers instead of a single one. That is totally harder.
Go get’em Team

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login