fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed My PMI-ACP

Passed My PMI-ACP 7 years 5 days ago #10324

• Stacey Rinnert
  • Stacey Rinnert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I passed my PMI-ACP test on Friday 04/07/17.

I used the Agile PrepCast for the my contact hours

I read the PMI-ACP Exam Prep book by Mike Griffiths & the PMI-ACP Exam, How to Pass on Your First Try book by Andy Crowe

I also attended a training at work from Bob the BA on Agile which helped with really digging into understanding user stories

I watched the PrepCast from October 2016 - January 2017. Then I read each book. They both included full tests and chapter quizzes, so I used those to perform a pre-test and post-test to gauge how much information I was retaining. I finished my readings by the end of February.

At that point, I filled out my application, was approved, and registered for my test. I scheduled my test 4 weeks out to give myself a month to take practice tests and review.

I felt that the practice tests I took were harder than the test and that the test is definitely not as hard as the PMP - mostly due to not having the need to memorize information. However, I was happy to be over prepared!

All of my questions were situational. It took me about an hour to take the test and then I spent 20 minutes reviewing the questions I marked.

Passed My PMI-ACP 7 years 4 days ago #10328

• Paul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Congrats Stacey!!

May I ask a few questions:
1. Which book do you think was more useful or do you recommend both?
2. Was the agile training at your work a day, multi-day or week training?
3. Did you do any exam simulators?
4. How long do you think you studied overall?

Thank you and congrats!
Paul

Passed My PMI-ACP 7 years 4 days ago #10335

• Stacey Rinnert
  • Stacey Rinnert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Paul

1. I would recommend both books. Crowe is easier to read/absorb - he puts the information in ways that are easy to understand, but Griffiths goes into so much more detail. Since Griffiths was one of the committee members for the agile certification, I think his information is important.

2. The agile training at my work was a 2 day training with Bob the BA. I didn't count it towards my contact hours (not sure if he is aligned with PMI) but since he is a Business Analyst it was a great deep dive into user stories.

3. I did use an exam simulator at PM Training

4. After the 37 hours of videos, I probably spent another 40-50 hours reading the books and taking the test/quizzes in them. I probably spent another 20 hours working on the exam simulator that I purchased. From an calendar perspective, I started watching the videos in October 2016 and took the test in early April 2017. I took 2 weeks off in December and I probably worked a few hours a day/several days a week on the materials. I did not study on the weekends - I have 2 young kids and knew that I would not get focused time outside of work. My job allowed me to study during working hours as part of professional development as long as my projects didn't suffer.

I also read this blog: edward-designer.com/web/pmi-acp/
He has a lot of tips about studying, exam simulators, applying for the cert, etc. - I found Edward's information VERY helpful and comprehensive

Passed My PMI-ACP 7 years 3 days ago #10337

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Stacey, thank you so much! This is phenomenal information!

I am going to re-read Crowe's book after I finish it (only about 30 pages left). I am mid way thru the Gr8PM Agile Almanac. Once done I am going to focus on Mike G's book and I ordered the workbook too. For exam Simulators, I plan on going with OSP's, Crowe's (I got this on sale with 30% off!) and I will most likely giver PM Training's a try as well.

Thank you!
Paul
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login