fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMI-ACP Exam Passed - Lessons Learned

PMI-ACP Exam Passed - Lessons Learned 9 years 6 months ago #4655

• Karen Jenkin
  • Karen Jenkin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you to Cornelius Fichtner’s fantastic Agile PrepCast for providing a great foundation for passing the PMI-ACP exam. Although I had attended a classroom course about 6 months prior to buying the Agile PrepCast, I found the classroom course was not well run and my retention of new information was very little a short time later. So enter the Agile PrepCast ... which provided a good structure and pace for learning, exercises and suggestions along the way.

I put together a reasonably ambitious study schedule of 1-3 hours each day, except for Fridays to relax. However, I had to adjust the schedule and change my exam a couple of times - remember that sometimes 'life happens' and you need to adapt.

In terms of extra reading, I highly recommend Mike Cohn's book on Agile Estimating & Planning and Jim Highsmith's Agile Project Management. Supplementing the these resources was John Stenbeck's PMI-ACP and Scrum CSP Exam Prep book - I bought the Kindle version so I could read it on my iPad wherever I may be. I cannot compare it to other exam prep books but believe the matching exercises and questions at the end of each chapter were good for remembering key points. I didn't bother with their grid exercise but it was worth keeping a copy of it for review every now and to track my comfort levels on all the knowledge and skill areas.

I started exam simulations as early as possible, using some free ones initially to get a sense of the types of questions that would come up. I bought access to TrainAgile exams, which has a good interface and reporting. However, the questions are quite simple, repetitive and (as I found out later) seem pretty much the same as the questions in Tim Bagnall's PMI-ACP Practice Questions with Detailed Solutions eBook - you have free access to this if you're a PMI member. I bought access to the Velociteach Practice A exam as well - well worthwhile and probably the closest to the types of questions you’ll get on the actual exam. Then to round it out was AgileExams, which was OK but has a terrible web interface and no persistent reporting.

As suggested by a few sources, I created a Brain Dump of key things to remember; borrowing from the AgilePrepCast’s example version and ScrumDan’s Study Guide. I came across someone's mnemonic for the Agile manifesto values that worked for me on the day: CWF CMF WCC SSR
Customer satisfaction
Welcome changes
Frequent delivery
Collaboration daily / collocation
Motivated Individuals
Face-to-face communication
Working software
Constant pace
Continuous attention
Simplicity
Self-organised teams
Regular reflection

Make sure when you schedule the exam that you leave room for contingency. On the morning of my Saturday exam I received an SMS saying the centre's servers had failed and they had no tech support over the weekend. I was slightly perturbed because I was heading off on holiday the next Friday. After a nervous wait for the Tuesday (due to a public holiday on the Monday), I managed to speak to Prometric and re-schedule to a new centre on the Thursday - lucky!

During the exam, I found the most helpful advice was to refer to the Agile manifesto values when deciding between close answers. I paced myself and completed the first run through of questions in just under an hour. Then I took a short 10-minute break for a snack and water. Once I returned to the exam, I did a couple more runs through the marked questions to finish. I passed with Proficient for both domains.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login