fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: In sprint review if product owner identifies new requirement

In sprint review if product owner identifies new requirement 4 years 3 weeks ago #20234

• Sadhana Shree
  • Sadhana Shree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
In sprint review if product owner identifies new requirement, does he need to put in product backlog for prioritization/validation by customer? (OR) PO can prioritize this in next sprint himself?

In sprint review if product owner identifies new requirement 4 years 2 weeks ago #20272

• Yazmine Darcy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Sadhana,

Technically speaking, the product owner is the "voice of the customer". As such, the product owner is primarily responsible for product backlog refinement in terms of " building the right thing".

From your question, you imply that there is an "internal" product owner, who is part of the scrum team, who is knowledgable of scrum practices but is separate from the client/customer who understands the requirements more intimately and fully than the "internal" product owner.

I think the appropriate answer to your question is that it depends on the situation. For example, what is the product owner's level of knowledge of requirements & priorities, risks, etc., how experienced of a product owner are they? What is the nature of the new requirement? What is the nature of the relationship between the product owner and the client/end-user?

I hope the above clarifies some items for consideration when addressing this question.

--
Yazmine Darcy, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
Director of Operations, OSP International LLC
The Project Management PrepCast™ - www.project-management-prepcast.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sadhana Shree
Last edit: by John Paul Bugarin.

In sprint review if product owner identifies new requirement 4 years 2 weeks ago #20278

• Sadhana Shree
  • Sadhana Shree's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the response. I completely agree with your perspective. I am preparing for PMI ACP and came across the following question. Hence the doubt. What do you suggest could be the right answer?

During a sprint review, the product owner identifies a required improvement for a feature’s UI delivered during the sprint. What should the product owner do next?
Create a user story and put it in product backlog for prioritization and validation by the customer
Create a user story and prioritize it for the next sprint

Thanks,
Sadhana
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasJohn Paul BugarinSameer Menda

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login