fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Changes to Sprint Backlog

Changes to Sprint Backlog 4 years 3 months ago #19457

• Michael Wittenburg
  • Michael Wittenburg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I understand that the agreed sprint backlog is like a contract between the product owner and the delivery team and is normally not altered and cancelled only in extreme events.

My question is the following:

The sprint has been kicked-off and the development team has started working on the user stories.

Let's assume there is a storry which was not foreseen (as it was not known) for the current sprint but is of high value (e.g. could get rid of a high risk) and could be easily accomodated.

Should the sprint backlog be altered and this story be added to demonstrate "responding to change over following a plan" or should it be put in the backlog of the next sprint ...

I am tempted to say add it, as it is easy, does not jeopardize the objective of the sprint and demonstrates and agile mindset ...

But I am not sure. Any thoughts?
Last edit: by Michael Wittenburg.

Changes to Sprint Backlog 4 years 3 months ago #19460

• Bankim
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Michael,

As far as I understand, the current sprint backlog cannot not be modified.

If an extremely important user story has been identified, PO can either cancel the current sprint and start a new sprint with the important user story included in it or wait for the next sprint to add the
user story to the sprint backlog.

I apologize if this is incorrect.

Regards,

Bankim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Wittenburg

Changes to Sprint Backlog 4 years 3 months ago #19461

• Michael Wittenburg
  • Michael Wittenburg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This is also my understanding ... but I hear from Certified Scrum People that they would change it in view of flexibility.
Your answer has been my original answer ... but I have found nowhever a confirmation.

Changes to Sprint Backlog 4 years 3 months ago #19465

• Corneliu Holban
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile processes harness change for the customer’s competitive advantage
Like anything else in PMI land....its all about the wording - form all the practice exams i took - in general you should accept if PO decides super high value item BUT he needs to remove a story of similar size from current sprint

Changes to Sprint Backlog 4 years 3 months ago #19466

• Bankim
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi All,

Please see this link: www.barryovereem.com/myth-2-the-sprint-b...e-during-the-sprint/

A Sprint Backlog is flexible, as long as changes do not distract from the focus on the Sprint Goal.

Regards,

Bankim
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasJohn Paul BugarinSameer Menda

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login