fbpx

Reply: How do I align a book i have read to the PMI talent triangle?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : How do I align a book i have read to the PMI talent triangle?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 1 month ago #20208

Brandon East

In this case I would say it would fall under technical. Pretty much when you are reading books for PDU's as I did for a good number of mine, you have to ask yourself some questions.
Leadership is a no brainer most of the time so we can skip that one.
If the book is telling you how to implement something or how to then its technical. If its telling you how something would benefit the organization and their growth or something along the lines of organizational change. Those could be strategic. So for the book on scrum. If its telling you what scrum is or how to apply techniques then its technical. If its describing how to implement agile at an organizational level or how agile and scrum benefit an organization. You could go with strategic. Also I have seen where I've pegged it wrong and the system actually corrects it (especially if its in their database)

Hope this helps, Good luck with getting the PDUs. I have already gotten my 60 since the exam last September. PACE yourself lol.
4 years 2 months ago #19992

Harry Elston

Stephen,

***CAUTION: I am in my first CM cycle since certification, so the following could be way off base!***

The CCR Handbook is quite vague on that area. I've resorted to "educated guessing" with some notes about the book in a spreadsheet for tracking. OSP's other product, The Project Management Podcast has a free resource for tracking CM points that can be used for resources other than the Podcast itself.

When it comes to peer-reviewed articles, such as from the PM Journal, some are clearly aligned with the talent triangle better than others.

If another mod or someone with more experience than I has a better method, I really would like to hear it. I do not like the educated guess method when assigning alignment with CM points.

Harry
4 years 2 months ago #19988

Stephen Simpson

's Avatar

Hello,

I am thinking of reading Essential Scrum by Kenneth Rubin to earn some PDUs for the PMP certification.

Someplace I read said that it would fit under the Strategic side of the triangle, But after looking at the PMI talent triangle sheet, I am not convinced that it is not technical.

What do you think about this specific book as to where it fits? Is there a resource of a book list with a good rating of how the PDUS are allocated? How do i confidently do this in principle?

(As an aside does anyone have a better suggestion for books on agile / scrum)

Thanks,

Stephen

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login