Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 7 months ago #5426

• Florian Hennhoefer
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
I just claimed the 37 PDUs I am able to claim for listening to the PMI-ACP-PrepCast and with those 37 PDUs I reached the 60 PDUs I need to renew my PMP-Status.

And that's just one year after I got my PMP-Certification.

So, when should I renew my status? Can I do it now or should I wait until the end of the 3-year-cycle?

Rgds,
Florian

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 7 months ago #5427

• Michael DeCicco
  • Thank you received: 28
Florian, I infer you received your PMI verfication of all 60 PDUs for your 3-year cycle.

You do not have to re-new the cycle until close to the expiration of your certification. If you renew, you will start the cycle again.

Now, if you are a PMI member (and I only say this for general information because it wasn't in your question) and you want to remain a member, then you have to renew that annually by paying the dues. This is different than the 3-year PMP certification and you do not have to be a member of PMI to remain a PMP or even apply for credits.

Michael

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 7 months ago #5428

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi Florian,

If you have fulfilled your 60 PDU's early you can renew your certification now. I fulfilled mine in a year as well. I renewed my certification and the renewal date started at the end of the 3 year period. For example...original certification expiration date 11/30/16. New certification date is now 11/30/19. You can go on the PMI website and check your status. It should show that you have fulfilled the 60 PDU's for renewal. Hope this helps.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 7 months ago #5429

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • PrepCast Instructor
  • Thank you received: 157
Hello Florian,

I usually earn the 60 PDUs that I need within a year or two, because I do a lot of public speaking and I also attend many conferences. Right now, for example, I have 52 PDUs and there are two years left in my cycle.

But frankly, it doesn't really matter when you renew. You can renew early, right on time, or you can even wait for a couple of weeks after your due date. I believe PMI gives you a 4 week grace period - but I wouldn't put it to a test... ;-)

My reasoning for renewing early is simply this: I get it out of the way and it gives me a sense of accomplishment. There is no other benefit.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 7 months ago #5430

• Florian Hennhoefer
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi and thank you all for your answers!
Now it's clear: You can renew any time within the 3-year-cycle and another three years will be added beginning at the end of the first cycle. I was afraid that I would loose two years of the first cycle, which is not the case.
I just renewed my status and now I am a PMP in good standing until end of june 2020 - Wohoo!

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 7 months ago #5431

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
Congrats Florian!

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 5 months ago #5744

• Marc Abramowitz
  • Fresh Boarder
Will you still be able to transfer 20 PDU's earned in the final year of your certification cycle to the first year of the new three year cycle if you renew in early?

(Cut and paste from PMP handbook page 46)

How to Transfer PDUs to the Next CCR Cycle
If you earn more than the required PDUs in your CCR cycle, you may apply the following amounts of PDUs to your next certification/CCR cycle. Credential No. of PDUs allowed to be transferred to the next cycle

PMP - 20 PDUs
PgMP - 20 PDUs
PMI-ACP - 10 PDUs
PMI-RMP - 10 PDUs
PMI-SP - 10 PDUs

Only PDUs earned in the final year (12 months) of your certification cycle can be transferred.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 5 months ago #5748

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Marc,

As far as I know you can. I certainly plan to do go that route.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 year 5 months ago #5758

• Steve Sandoval
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello Marc,

Yes, as long as they are in the last 12 months of your cycle. It's still ok if you get the other 60 done early.
Steve Sandoval, PMP
Community Moderator

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 month 3 weeks ago #8517

• Tong
Hi:
Say, my PMP will expire on 29 April 2018.
If I get my 60 PDUs by end of 2016, and re-cert, it will be extended to 29 Apr 2021.
If say I get another 60 PDUs in 2017, will it be extended to 2024 ? and so on .....

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 month 3 weeks ago #8518

• Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL
  • Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi,

Not exactly. You cannot repeatedly renew the cycle as far as you want. Your cycle to renew your 2018-2021 can't only be open in 2018. You can earn PDU but they are not yet applied.
I am in the same situation like you. My cycle 2018-2021 has been renewed, I can earn PDU but I cannot renew 2021-2024.
You can continue claiming your pdu.

Best regards

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 1 month 3 weeks ago #8525

• tong
Lazard Toe, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL wrote:
Hi,

Not exactly. You cannot repeatedly renew the cycle as far as you want. Your cycle to renew your 2018-2021 can't only be open in 2018. You can earn PDU but they are not yet applied.
I am in the same situation like you. My cycle 2018-2021 has been renewed, I can earn PDU but I cannot renew 2021-2024.
You can continue claiming your pdu.

Best regards

Thanks.
Then, when should I renew for the next cycle so that I can fully utilize the PDUs that I earned in the 3 years cycle ?
Or you are saying that I can only renew for the next cycle after 28-apr-2018, after the first 3 -years cycle expired ?
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Michael DeCicco, Mary Kathrine Padua, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®