TOPIC: PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 11 months ago #5426

• Florian Hennhoefer
  • Florian Hennhoefer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I just claimed the 37 PDUs I am able to claim for listening to the PMI-ACP-PrepCast and with those 37 PDUs I reached the 60 PDUs I need to renew my PMP-Status.

And that's just one year after I got my PMP-Certification.

So, when should I renew my status? Can I do it now or should I wait until the end of the 3-year-cycle?

Rgds,
Florian

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 11 months ago #5427

• Michael DeCicco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Florian, I infer you received your PMI verfication of all 60 PDUs for your 3-year cycle.

You do not have to re-new the cycle until close to the expiration of your certification. If you renew, you will start the cycle again.

Now, if you are a PMI member (and I only say this for general information because it wasn't in your question) and you want to remain a member, then you have to renew that annually by paying the dues. This is different than the 3-year PMP certification and you do not have to be a member of PMI to remain a PMP or even apply for credits.

Michael

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 11 months ago #5428

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Florian,

If you have fulfilled your 60 PDU's early you can renew your certification now. I fulfilled mine in a year as well. I renewed my certification and the renewal date started at the end of the 3 year period. For example...original certification expiration date 11/30/16. New certification date is now 11/30/19. You can go on the PMI website and check your status. It should show that you have fulfilled the 60 PDU's for renewal. Hope this helps.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 11 months ago #5429

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Hello Florian,

I usually earn the 60 PDUs that I need within a year or two, because I do a lot of public speaking and I also attend many conferences. Right now, for example, I have 52 PDUs and there are two years left in my cycle.

But frankly, it doesn't really matter when you renew. You can renew early, right on time, or you can even wait for a couple of weeks after your due date. I believe PMI gives you a 4 week grace period - but I wouldn't put it to a test... ;-)

My reasoning for renewing early is simply this: I get it out of the way and it gives me a sense of accomplishment. There is no other benefit.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 11 months ago #5430

• Florian Hennhoefer
  • Florian Hennhoefer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi and thank you all for your answers!
Now it's clear: You can renew any time within the 3-year-cycle and another three years will be added beginning at the end of the first cycle. I was afraid that I would loose two years of the first cycle, which is not the case.
I just renewed my status and now I am a PMP in good standing until end of june 2020 - Wohoo!

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 11 months ago #5431

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Congrats Florian!

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 10 months ago #5744

• Marc Abramowitz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Will you still be able to transfer 20 PDU's earned in the final year of your certification cycle to the first year of the new three year cycle if you renew in early?

(Cut and paste from PMP handbook page 46)

How to Transfer PDUs to the Next CCR Cycle
If you earn more than the required PDUs in your CCR cycle, you may apply the following amounts of PDUs to your next certification/CCR cycle. Credential No. of PDUs allowed to be transferred to the next cycle

PMP - 20 PDUs
PgMP - 20 PDUs
PMI-ACP - 10 PDUs
PMI-RMP - 10 PDUs
PMI-SP - 10 PDUs

Only PDUs earned in the final year (12 months) of your certification cycle can be transferred.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 9 months ago #5748

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Marc,

As far as I know you can. I certainly plan to do go that route.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 8 years 9 months ago #5758

• Steve Sandoval
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Hello Marc,

Yes, as long as they are in the last 12 months of your cycle. It's still ok if you get the other 60 done early.
Steve Sandoval, PMP
Community Moderator

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 6 months ago #8517

• Tong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi:
Say, my PMP will expire on 29 April 2018.
If I get my 60 PDUs by end of 2016, and re-cert, it will be extended to 29 Apr 2021.
If say I get another 60 PDUs in 2017, will it be extended to 2024 ? and so on .....

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 6 months ago #8518

• Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL
  • Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi,

Not exactly. You cannot repeatedly renew the cycle as far as you want. Your cycle to renew your 2018-2021 can't only be open in 2018. You can earn PDU but they are not yet applied.
I am in the same situation like you. My cycle 2018-2021 has been renewed, I can earn PDU but I cannot renew 2021-2024.
You can continue claiming your pdu.

Best regards

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 6 months ago #8525

• tong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Lazard Toe, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL wrote: Hi,

Not exactly. You cannot repeatedly renew the cycle as far as you want. Your cycle to renew your 2018-2021 can't only be open in 2018. You can earn PDU but they are not yet applied.
I am in the same situation like you. My cycle 2018-2021 has been renewed, I can earn PDU but I cannot renew 2021-2024.
You can continue claiming your pdu.

Best regards

Thanks.
Then, when should I renew for the next cycle so that I can fully utilize the PDUs that I earned in the 3 years cycle ?
Or you are saying that I can only renew for the next cycle after 28-apr-2018, after the first 3 -years cycle expired ?

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 3 months ago #9342

• Sajit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

My cycle Nov 2018- Nov 2021 has been renewed. I understand that i cannot renew again until new cycle starts in 2018. But is it true that i cannot claim PDU's until my final year of my current cycle i.e 2018. If i try to claim any new PDU's now it is not getting reflected and i was informed that you can only start your PDU's from 2018 and carry over only 20 of that PDU to next cycle and claim your remaining 40 PDU in my next cycle i.e from Nov 2018.

Thanks & Regards,
Sajit Panicker

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 3 months ago #9343

• Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL
  • Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Dear Sajit,
Thank you for your contribution. I am in the same situation like you. I continue my ccrs and claim pdus which are approved but not yet applied.

PMI has a good reason to process as such and we shall continuously work and contribute as PM.

Best regards

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 3 months ago #9345

• Sajit Panicker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you very much for your response.
I will continue my learnings and claim my PDU's and note it down somewhere and will apply during my next year.

Thanks & Regards,
Sajit Panicker

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 3 months ago #9361

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Sanjit,

Let me just clarify one important fact: PDUs are earned on the day of the activity.

This means that if you earn a PDU today, but you wait with inputting this PDU into the CCRS system until next yet, the system will ask you to input the date on which the activity was performed. The system will then apply the PDU to the date on which it was earned (= the day on which you performed the activity).

So you cannot "earn PDUs today and apply them to the next cycle".
Until Next Time,

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 3 months ago #9468

• Tracy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
HI! I received my PMP in Feb 2011, submitted all PDUs by September 2013, and am going in to submit now and it says I have to retake the test. I am confused.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 3 months ago #9469

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Tracy,

This is probably something that we cannot help you with here. Please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I recommend that you include your PMI member number and PMP ID number. Also include a screen shot of the message that you see when you write to them.
Until Next Time,

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 3 months ago #9470

• Marc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You say you submitted the PDU's before September 2013. Did you renew at that time? PDU's are only part of the renewal equation.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 7 years 2 weeks ago #10280

• Navaraj Mishra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well Done.
Your blog answers my queries too.
I was also under the same dilemma and now I have the answer.
I will also renew my Cycle once I finish 8 PDU remaining out of 60 PDU's for CCR.
My Renewal Date is : 04 January 2019.
So 2 more years for remaining 8 PDU's :)

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 6 years 9 months ago #11146

• Mahabuvali
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I finished my 60 PDUs before a year left out of my 3 year cycle. Now , am in confusion, whether membership renews automatically, or need to apply for renewal?

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 6 years 9 months ago #11159

• John Wolverton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Mahabuvali
You need to renew your membership and pay the fees. my.pmi.org/home/public?ReturnUrl=%2fhome%2frenewmembership , if you have a year to go on your three year cycle you can wait to do this until your membership renewal is due. Check your details for renewal at your PMI Webpage by logging in on the PMI Webpage.
Best Wishes
jfw
John F. Wolverton, PMP®

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 5 years 11 months ago #14216

• waqas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My last PMP cycle expired in June, 2015. I renewed my PMP in Jul, 2015 for a 3 years cycle. Then in 2015, same year, I reported 60 additional PDUs and got an additional renewal till June, 2021. Now my PMP credential is valid through June, 2021.

I have now reported 60 PDUs in May, 2018 and these are approved and applied too. Now I want to renewal my certification for 2021-2024 cycle but I do not see any link on my PMI dashboard for renewal. When PMI will allow me to do so?

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 5 years 2 months ago #16423

• Jimbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Cornelius Fichtner wrote: Hello Florian,

I usually earn the 60 PDUs that I need within a year or two, because I do a lot of public speaking and I also attend many conferences. Right now, for example, I have 52 PDUs and there are two years left in my cycle.

But frankly, it doesn't really matter when you renew. You can renew early, right on time, or you can even wait for a couple of weeks after your due date. I believe PMI gives you a 4 week grace period - but I wouldn't put it to a test... ;-)

Can I write the PMP prepcast final exam right after passing the PMP exam and use the 60 PDUs to earn an additional 3 years on PMP. (assuming prepcast purchased before PMP exam and the prepcast exam certificate was not needed to fulfill the contact hours requirement)

My reasoning for renewing early is simply this: I get it out of the way and it gives me a sense of accomplishment. There is no other benefit.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 5 years 2 months ago #16428

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hello Jimbo,

You asked the following:

"Can I write the PMP prepcast final exam right after passing the PMP exam and use the 60 PDUs to earn an additional 3 years on PMP. (assuming prepcast purchased before PMP exam and the prepcast exam certificate was not needed to fulfill the contact hours requirement)"

So my understanding is this: You purchased The PM PrepCast before taking you PMP exam. You watched The PM PrepCast lessons before taking your PMP exam in order to help prepare yourself pass the exam. But... you didn't actually need the 35 contact hours that the PrepCast offers and so you didn't take the Final Exam and print your certificate. Now you are wondering, "since I didn't use the 35 contact hours in my PMP application, can I now take the final exam and apply this toward my PDUs for renewal?".

Frankly, you are just trying to 'game the system', because let's be honest: Even though you didn't submit the 35 Contact Hours certificate from the PrepCast on your PMP application, you watched the lessons before taking the exam, and then used the knowledge that you gained from watching it to pass the exam. So from an ethical perspective, you DID you the PrepCast in your PMP exam preparation and therefore you should not use it for PDUs.
Until Next Time,

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 3 years 6 months ago #23924

• Marcel Winner
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If I reached my 60 PDUs but don't renew now, but in a couple weeks, I'm expecting to get another 40 PDUs, can the new 40 PDUs be counted in the next cycle? Or will PMI only allow me to carry-over 20 PDUs? At what point, can you start claiming PDUs for the next cycle? At the time you renew? At the time the current cycle ends?

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 3 years 6 months ago #23926

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi Marcel,

to answer your question, it all depends on when your next cycle begins. In fact, PMI allows you to earn PDUs in the current cycle and apply them to the next cycle; however, this only applies to the last 12 months of your certification cycle.
So, if you are already in the third year of your certification cycle and you already earned 60 PDUs, a portion of the next 40 PDUs you expect to get in a couple of weeks will roll over the next 3-year cycle; specifically, my understanding is 20 PDUs (max), based on the CCR Handbook .
The reference point for the 3-year certification cycle is the date you passed your PMP exam. Also, keep in mind that—even if you renew now (i.e., before the end of your certification cycle)—the certification renewal date will remain 3 years from the original renewal date.

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 3 years 4 months ago #24910

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I saw where pmi said dont delay beyond 90 days from the end of your ccr cycle for PMP renewal. What does it imply? I have updated my 60 PDU , and my ccr ends on 3rd December. Can I make payment within the next 90 days . Hope it wont affect my PMP active certification status.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 3 years 4 months ago #24917

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Anon,

It means that PMI has a grace period of 90 days for renewal at the end of the 3-year cycle. If you do not have all of your PDUs don't your certification will be forfeited and, probably, you'll have to do the whole thing over again.

At least that is what it means with my other professional certifications.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

[email protected] 2 years 10 months ago #27502

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi All just checked with the PMI PDU customer care team, whenever you complete the 60 PDUs (within a year or within the 3 years) and claim it within the 3 year cycle, the actual certification renewal date will only be updated on your PMI dashboard just before the expiration date, so not before the 3 year cycle is completed.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 2 years 7 months ago #28252

• Jing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I renew before the end of cycle, however the PDUs is still shown as 60 PDUs. Is this expected to shown like this?
How do I know the new PDUs I earn for new cycle? Or it will take time to update on the dashboard? Kindly advise.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 2 years 7 months ago #28256

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Jing,

It is hard to say without seeing what exactly your dashboard actually shows. Would you mind sharing a screen shot here in the forum? (But use an image editing software to remove any personal data from the screen shot before you upload it...)
Until Next Time,

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 2 years 7 months ago #28266

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I fulfil mine before 3 year period and I renew now. I am not sure what to do next. Should I start reporting new PDUs now? Or I should wait till it's start new 3 year period.
Can you advise.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 2 years 7 months ago #28267

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Cornelius,
I earn 60 PDUs before the end of 3 year cycle. Just wondering if I have to wait till new cycle starts to earn new PDUs or I can do it now.
Look forward to your advice.
Thanks.

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 2 years 3 months ago #28855

• Jerry Farley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I recently took a PMP renewal course that satisfied the remaining PDUs that I needed for my next 3 year cycle, which begins in May, 2022. However, I just discovered that my employer also utilizes a PMP renewal program. I took that course as well, even though I've already satisfied my PDUs for the upcoming cycle. Can I apply the PDU's from this second PMP renewal program towards the next renewal cycle, which would be around 2025?

PMP Renewal before the end of the 3-year-cycle 2 years 3 months ago #28873

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Jerry,

PDUs are applied to the cycle during which they were earned. In other words, any PDUs you earn today must be applied to the current cycle. You cannot "build up" a PDU reserve and then apply then in the future. The only exception are 20 PDUs that can roll over from the current cycle to the next.

That much said, let's see if you can get those 20 PDUs to roll over. Let's just make sure that I get the facts right here:
- Your current cycle ENDS in May 2022 and you now have 60 PDUs.
- This means you are currently in the third year of your current cycle
- Additionally, you just took another class and earned PDUs (also during the third year of your current cycle)

If this is correct then you should do the following:
- Input all PDUs you just earned into the PMI CCR online system (just like you would any other PDU)
- The system will then automatically detect the following:
--- You already have 60 PDUs, which is enough for the current cycle
--- But you just earned 20 (or more) PDUs during the third year of the current cycle
--- That means, 20 PDUs will now roll over to your next cycle

I hope that makes sense? The good news is that while you cannot "save up" your PDUs, it looks like 20 will roll over.
Until Next Time,
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonDaniel SoerensenCoy Studer Christian Elmer

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login