fbpx

Reply: Do I have to earn 90 PDUs to renew PMP & PMI-RMP?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Do I have to earn 90 PDUs to renew PMP & PMI-RMP?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 3 days ago #4085

Anne Booc

Question:
I am both a PMP and a PMI-RMP. Do I have to earn 90 PDUs in total to renew both my credentials?

Answer:
The short answer is "No you don't, because they can be combined." Here is how this works in detail:

You are a PMP and therefore you have to earn 60 PDUs every 3 years. You are also a PMI-RMP and therefore you must also earn 30 PDUs for this credential. There is a big difference between the 60/30 PDUs that you need to earn and there is also good news for you.

The big difference between the PDUS that you need to earn is this: For the renewal of your PMP certification you have to earn 60 PDUs, which can be from pretty much any and all areas of project management, as long as they relate to the PMBOK Guide. For the PMI-RMP however, you have to earn 30 PDUs in the specialized area of project risk management. The good news is that you don't have to earn a total of 90 PDUs, because the PDUs you earn for your PMI-RMP also count toward your PMP renewal!

Here are two examples:
Let's first assume that you are taking a course about Implementing Risk Indicators. This is a 2-day long course and at the end you receive a certificate for 16 Category A PDUs in risk management. These 16 PDUs can now be counted toward your PMI-RMP renewal because they are qualifying PDUs in risk management. At the same time they automatically count toward your PMP renewal. This happens automatically in PMI's online CCRS system when you input them.

Let's now assume that you are preparing a presentation about Fundamentals of Risk Management for your local PMI chapter. You spend 7.5 hours preparing the presentation and 1 hour delivering it. You have now earned 8.5 Category D PDUs since both preparation time and delivery time can be counted. And again: when you claim these PDUs in the online CCRS system these PDUs will be applied toward your PMI-RMP as well as your PMP renewal.

So my recommendations for anyone holding two or more PMI credentials are simple:
  • Earn PDUs for your "non PMP" credential first, because they count for both credentials
  • Claim these PDUs in the online CCRS system ccrs.pmi.org/ and verify that the system applies them to both your credentials. If not contact PMI and ask for a correction.
  • Once you have earned enough PDUs for your "non PMP" credential continue to earn and claim the remaining PDUs for your PMP certification.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login