fbpx

TOPIC: Q: Earning PDUs In Three Different Ways FOR FREE!

Q: Earning PDUs In Three Different Ways FOR FREE! 10 years 11 months ago #3316

• Anne Booc
  • Anne Booc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
How many PDU can you claim for a job related to PMO? Its a full time job related to define and improve processes, tools and train Project Managers as well as mentor some of them. And also if I work as a volunteer in the local PMI chapter, how many PDUs can I claim? I can work in the PMI with specific goals or supporting the yearly symposium.

Regards Antonio

Answer:

Hello Antonio,

From your question I can see three areas for which you might think of claiming PDUs. From my point of view two of these are OK but the third one cannot be claimed. Let's begin with the two "green" ones:

1.) Working as a Professional in Project Management (Category F): From your description it is clear that you can claim PDUs in this category. If you work for at least 6 months every year in this position then you can claim 5 PDUs for each year. This means that you can claim a total of 15 free PDUs. Make sure that you have proof of employment and a job description, just in case that PMI decides to audit you.

2.) Volunteer Service (Category E): Every hour that you volunteer in the described position for your local PMI chapter will earn you 1 PDU. Make sure that you get a confirmation letter from your chapter to show that you have indeed provided these services to them.

3.) Mentoring other project managers (Also Category E): You also wrote that as part of your job you mentor other project managers. Mentoring others falls under the volunteer services of category E. This is really where the crux lies: Because you are volunteering these project managers as part of your day to day job you cannot claim additional PDUs for doing this. It's part of your job (your being paid for it) and it's not a volunteer service. The only way that you could claim additional PDUs for volunteering would be to find a mentoring opportunity that is outside of your employment.

One final note: Remember that there is a combined maximum of 45 PDUs that you can claim in Categories D, E and F. So in our example above, you can claim 15 PDUs for working your job and then you can claim 30 PDUs for volunteering at the chapter level. Together they give you the combined total of 45 PDUs. This is true even if you volunteer 200 hours for your chapter.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasAnne BoocMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonDaniel SoerensenCoy Studer Christian Elmer

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login