fbpx

Reply: Q: Podcast and Webinars for earning PDUs?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Q: Podcast and Webinars for earning PDUs?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 11 months ago #3280

Anne Booc

Question:
The availability of Podcast and Webinars for earning PDUs has prompted my entry into the world of iPods, iPhone, i Pads, et al. I assume that the Webinars have video content… what do I give up if I elect a small screen (i.e., purchase an iPod vs. iPad)? In other words, do you have any experience that suggests the video content is equally accessible as viewed on an iPod vs. an iPad?

Question From: Jesse O'Neal

Answer:
Here is my answer to you: it depends.

The best way to watch a webinar is (obviously) in the largest possible format, because it will enable you to follow the presentation without needing to squint, trying to figure out what those microscopic words on the screen mean. From what I can tell, most webinars have a 640x480 on-screen resolution. This is a good size - easy for viewing.

However, many webinars are not intended for download. All our webinars (PM Podcast, PM PrepCast or PDU Podcast) are specifically designed for mobile devices. You are meant to be able to download them to your portable device and watch them on the go. Other companies offer an online portal, where you need to sign-in and then you watch a streaming webinar. That's possible with an iPad but impossible with an iPod classic. Unfortunately, some companies use Flash on their websites, which means you're out of luck with any Apple devices.

Another hurdle that you may face is the video format: We encode our videos for the mobile consumer. We selected a video codec that plays on Apple devices (largest market share) but which should also play on many other devices. Not every company that produces webinars does this, so you may simply not be able to play the videos on your device.

So in the end... it really depends. It depends on your device, it depends on your eyesight (I'm wearing very strong glasses), it depends on the video format and it depends on your viewing preference.

The best thing you can do: Make sure that the provider you selected offers a free version of their product, so that you can try it out on your device before committing.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login