fbpx
NEVER post copyrighted questions. Always state where questions come from. We take copyright violations very serious. Any copyrighted materials will be removed and the posters account will be deactivated.

TOPIC: When change requested Impact analysis or raise CR?

When change requested Impact analysis or raise CR? 8 years 10 months ago #5707

• Rachel
  • Rachel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have seen conflicting answers when we have both Change request and analyze impact are choices when a change is requested. So wanted to know what will be the generic guidelines. Provided 2 sample questions from free simplilearn practice exam

1) You are managing a critical project with frequent changes in requirements. You are in the testing phase of the project and the customer has requested an additional new feature. You have assessed the impact of the change on the triple constraints with your team. What should be your NEXT step?

A) Raise a change request form and send it for approval to change control board
B ) Look for alternative options including schedule compression techniques like crashing and fast tracking
C) Analyze the impact of the change on project quality objectives and quality planning
D) Update the project management plans and other project documents including project baselines

2) A senior stakeholder approaches the project manager to slightly modify the project scope to include an additional feature required by him. The project is already in the execution stage. What should be the response of the project manager?

A) It is difficult to incorporate this feature as the project is already moved out of planning stage
B ) Analyze the impact of the request on the other factors of triple constraints namely cost and schedule
C) Bring the change request to Change Control Board to decide on its fate
D) Document the change request as per project scope management plan

When change requested Impact analysis or raise CR? 8 years 10 months ago #5710

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
Hello Rachel,
when a change is requested, the PM should follow the procedures to analyze the impact of the Change on the project constraints then document the CR and then the CR should be either approved or rejected by the concerned person or group (project sponsor, CCB,...)

In the first question you shared, the question clearly stated that the assessment of the CR has been completed. so clearly the next step is to issue the CR and send it for approval.

In the second question, the CR was just raised verbally so the next step is to assess the impact of the CR and then document the CR and send it for approval.
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

When change requested Impact analysis or raise CR? 8 years 10 months ago #5721

• Rachel
  • Rachel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So i checked the answers in simplilearn and it was completely opposite. For the first question it was A and second one it was D. Hope it was wrong in the website.

When change requested Impact analysis or raise CR? 8 years 10 months ago #5722

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
Hello Rachel,
I am confused why you assumed the answers are completely opposite. I urge you to check my reply again.

for the first question I said " the question clearly stated that the assessment of the CR has been completed. so clearly the next step is to issue the CR and send it for approval." which maps to option A as proposed by the question author.

As for the second question I said "The CR was just raised verbally so the next step is to assess the impact of the CR and then document the CR and send it for approval" this narrows the selection to both B and D as good choices, but remember you always have to choose the best option. my only problem with option B is it referring to project constraints as triple constraints (seems the questions are based on older version of the PMBOK as in newer version there are six competing project constraints Scope,Quality, Schedule, Budget, Resources, and Risks) so this leaves us with option D as the best (I would have chosen B if it didn't specify triple constraints)

It would be great if we can have different point of views and opinions from other members, what would you chose as a correct answer ?
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

When change requested Impact analysis or raise CR? 8 years 10 months ago #5726

• Praveen Chandra
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would go with A in first question. But in 2nd question, as Ahmed mentioned, ideally it should be to analyze the impact of the change request first and then document (in my opinion, please correct me. I am preparing for the exam right now :))
But as triple constraint is an old concept now, we should probably choose the best possible answer as D.

When change requested Impact analysis or raise CR? 7 years 3 weeks ago #10205

• Mohamad Elsadek
  • Mohamad Elsadek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,
How can you analize the impact of change request if it was verbal?

When change requested Impact analysis or raise CR? 7 years 3 days ago #10398

• Sameh Elgendy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mohamad Elsadek wrote: Hi,
How can you analize the impact of change request if it was verbal?

you can't. you have to ask the one who requested the change to submit it officially but if this isn't a choice given.you have to review the project management plan as it includes the change management plan and the communication plan that in order to determine the correct procedure to handle this request
but what if someone from the team asks for a change request ? what the project manager will do?
also, does the team members allowed for submitting change requests and what they can do to make their voice heard ?
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinJean KwandaAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login