fbpx
NEVER post copyrighted questions. Always state where questions come from. We take copyright violations very serious. Any copyrighted materials will be removed and the posters account will be deactivated.

TOPIC: Benefit Cost Ratio

Benefit Cost Ratio 9 years 3 months ago #5081

• Farid Hadj-Hamou
  • Farid Hadj-Hamou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I came across a question asking what is the benefit cost ratio of 9:91.

I did not know how to solve this problem - Can anyone explain.

Thank you

Farid Hadj-Hamou

Benefit Cost Ratio 9 years 3 months ago #5085

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
Hi Farid,

Can you post the complete question along with the source?

Thanks
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

Benefit Cost Ratio 9 years 3 months ago #5087

• Andre Roux
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Fajid,

To answer the question fully, I will have to understand the context in which the 9:91 ratio was presented.

However, a 9:91 benefit cost ratio implies that for every 91 units of cost, there is only 9 units of benefit to be had, which means that justification for the project is going to be difficult.

There is often reference to cost benefit ratio's too, in which case you just interpret the values either side of the colon as cost to the left, and benefit to the right (other way round than in example above)

Hope this helps.

Regards
André Roux (PMP)
Community Moderator

Benefit Cost Ratio 9 years 3 months ago #5096

• Farid Hadj-Hamou
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
in terms for which is higher in this example, can we say that costs are higher than the benefit?

and sorry Rahul, I saw this questions somewhere and I did not understand it and it d id not have additional information.

Thank you Andre!

Benefit Cost Ratio 9 years 3 months ago #5097

• Farid Hadj-Hamou
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry Rahul - I did not have additional infor on this as I saw it and I did not know how to answer it.

Andre - is it safe to say thet the costs are higher than the benefits?

Thank you for your explanation.

Farid

Benefit Cost Ratio 9 years 3 months ago #5104

• Steve Sandoval
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Hello Farid,

The order of the term indicates which order the ratio goes in. So a benefit-cost ratio of 2:1 would indicate the benefit is twice the cost. A cost-benefit ratio of 2:1 would indicate that the cost is twice the benefit.

In this case, I would interpret your question to indicate that there are 9 units of benefit, and 91 units of cost. So yes, the costs would be much higher than the benefits in this case.

Maybe they're looking for you to simplify the ratio down? 9:91 would be equivalent to a 1:10.11 ratio.
Steve Sandoval, PMP
Community Moderator

Benefit Cost Ratio 9 years 2 months ago #5107

• Andre Roux
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Farid,

The secret lies in how the terminology is presented. The wording sequence follows the ratio sequence, in that the first word describes the value to left of the colon, while second word describes value to right of colon. So yes, in the example given, the costs outweigh the benifits by far, which puts the viability of the project into question.
André Roux (PMP)
Community Moderator

Benefit Cost Ratio 9 years 2 months ago #5113

• Farid Hadj-Hamou
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you Andre and Steve for the explanation - It is much clearer now :)

Regards
Farid
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinJean KwandaElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login