fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Passed the CAPM Above Target - here's my advice!

Passed the CAPM Above Target - here's my advice! 4 years 11 months ago #17055

• Jamie Guerin
  • Jamie Guerin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Everyone,

I passed the CAPM exam above target last week, and I thought I'd share some personal advice for others on their road to achieving their CAPM.

1. Don't take too long

I made the mistake of booking my exam far out thinking that it would give me much more time to prepare. In theory, that works. However, I personally need the urgency of an upcoming exam in order to really grind and focus on studying. This may just be a personal trait of mine and not apply to everyone, but having the additional time led more to me procrastinating than anything else.

2. Read the PMBOK at least once

There's a lot of differing opinions on whether the PMBOK should be read cover to cover. I personally think that doing so helped me tremendously, especially for the CAPM. Given that you're being tested on knowledge directly from the PMBOK, having the wording and explanations directly from the source is very helpful. Also, it's not such a bad read. The information is spread out and I found a chapter generally quick to read. There's also a lot of repetition that you can read at a glance while going through the ITTO's for the 49 processes.

3. Use the CAPM Exam Content Outline

It will help pinpoint specific areas of study and where you should focus your efforts.

4. Know your ITTO's (kind of)

So this was probably my biggest area of uncertainty leading up to the exam. Should I attempt to memorize all the ITTO's or not? I decided on a strategy of knowing the distinct ITTO's for each process very well, and having a good general idea of those that are used over and over. As an example - you should know that the Activity List & Attributes are an output of the Define Activities process, and that decomposition and rolling wave planning are tools and techniques. Outside of that, you can probably guess that the PM Plan is an input, etc.

I found that the ITTO questions on the exam tend to focus of knowing critical knowledge like that, and that you could quickly eliminate wrong answers where they would, for example, include the activity list as a tool & technique rather than the output, etc.

5. Do the practice questions on the Prepcast

These questions, in my opinion, were much harder than the actual exam questions. If you can consistently score well here, you should have no problem on the actual exam.

Cheers!

Jamie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rebecca Bekolo, Danielle Trembley, Dakota Dunham-Brown, Morgan Bedard, Gabriel Pope, Kirk Kochanski, Lori Burke

Passed the CAPM Above Target - here's my advice! 4 years 7 months ago #18183

• Kiani Conley-Wilson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for sharing Jamie. Do you have a study plan you used?

Passed the CAPM Above Target - here's my advice! 4 years 7 months ago #18303

• Jacqueline Knight
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Firstly may I say.. "Well done".. you are an inspiration to people like myself and thankyou for all the knowledge. Mighty grateful you angel.

Passed the CAPM Above Target - here's my advice! 4 years 1 month ago #20061

• Michelle Randle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Evening,

Where can I find the CAPM Exam Content Outline?

Passed the CAPM Above Target - here's my advice! 3 years 8 months ago #22059

• Debra Chandler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Jamie,
How long did you study before taking the exam?
Thanks,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juleen Madera

Passed the CAPM Above Target - here's my advice! 3 years 8 months ago #22086

• Linda De Boer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
G'day Michelle,

Check this page out: www.pmi.org/certifications/types/certified-associate-capm
and look in the bottom right corner for the link to the Exam outline and other helpful stuff.

Hope that helps,
Linda de Boer, CAPM®
Manager of System Architecture
Owl Tree Operations Inc.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinCoy Studer

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login