fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: CAPM eligibility

CAPM eligibility 3 years 6 months ago #23720

• Vanessa
  • Vanessa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

I would like to complete the CAPM certification but I and not 100% sure as to what the requirements are.

1-So, as far as I have read I do not need any previous PM experience, however, when I look at the CAPM handbook it indicates that if my application is selected I have 90 days to send my audit materials (???). What audit materials is this referring to exactly? If it refers to the "23 contact hours of specific instruction...", will showing the course content (which says that it would cover those) suffice? Or is there any other specific documentation that I would need to complete/provide/justify?

2-Also wanted to clarify: I can purchase the study materials online and when I am ready to sit the exam is when I would submit my application to PMI, correct? Or is it better to submit my application sooner than that? I would go with the 1st option but wonder whether I am missing something here.

3-I am hoping that once I get the CAPM certification I can somehow move to the PMP one. It however indicates that the CAPM certification needs to be renewed every 5 years. So if I manage to get enough experience to mover to the PMP certification, will I need to renew both certifications? Or is it that once you get the PMP certification, you only need to renew that one?

Thank you very much for your help and good look to everyone working on their certifications!

Best wishes,
Vanessa
Last edit: by Linda De Boer.

CAPM eligibility 3 years 6 months ago #23725

• Linda De Boer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
G'day Vanessa,

Your message appeared to be "stuck", however I think I managed to get it forwarded. I do hope this gets to you. The Handbook does have alot of information to absorb at once, especially if you are just getting started.

1) In order to apply to write the CAPM Exam, as per page 10 of the guide, you will need 23 contact hours. If the project management course that you have taken, or will take, is 23 contact hours (23 hours of instruction minimum), then this does qualify. Most courses tell you that they provide the required 23 hours clearly, so that you don't have to guess.
As an example, the following website shows the "Certificate 23 Contact Hours" checked off.
www.project-management-prepcast.com/capm-exam/the-capm-prepcast

Regarding the Audit:
- On page 15 of the guide, they did outline the PMI Audit Process, however audits are typically random, or exceptional circumstances. You are required to retain the necessary proof of the requirements listed and you have 90 days from the issue of PMI's request to produce this proof. Just keep the backups in a file and put them away, then if you are asked, they are right at hand.

- The requirements that I have mentioned are in the middle of page 15, under "during an audit, you will be asked to submit supporting documentation such as:". Its basically just proof you took the course(s).

2) It is best to submit your application once you have a date in mind, to write the exam (ballpark of course). You can take the course while waiting for the response and have 1 year from the time it is approved, to write the exam. You will find the reference to the "1 year from the date of the application approval" on page 7 of the CAPM Handbook.

3) Obtaining the CAPM certification does not need any experience, just the contact hours/training. However the PMP will require considerably more hours of direct experience to qualify for writing the exam.

Once you obtain your CAPM, yes you will need to rewrite the exam every 5 years. However once you get your PMP, you just need to maintain your PMP. This typically only requires ongoing training for which you receive PDU's, which are proof of that training. You will no longer need the CAPM at that time, it is a stepping stone.

If I have missed anything, please let us know.
Linda de Boer, CAPM®
Manager of System Architecture
Owl Tree Operations Inc.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinCoy Studer

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login