fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP exam on first attempt - Above Target in all five domains

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP exam on first attempt - Above Target in all five domains

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 10 months ago #21211

Madhuri Deshpande

Could you please share how you kept track of the pacing during the exam?
3 years 10 months ago #21190

Felix Kamanga, PMP

Congratulations Carl!
And thank you for sharing your experience.
3 years 10 months ago #21184

Carl Boles

Thanks Cornelius for helping provide me a solid foundation.

I had about ten weeks total from starting studying until when I needed to take the exam, so I worked backwards and created a study plan, leaving about three weeks for pure review prior to testing.

Here a a few things that worked for me (in order):

* I scored 51% on the pre-assessment - discouraging to me, as I thought I'd do better (I had been doing project management type work for several years)
*I watched all of the videos in order
* I did not read the PMBOK guide, but I followed along during the videos and highlighted key points
* I made an excel sheet matrix of the Process Groups, Knowledge Areas, and Process and posted it next to my desk for easy and frequent reference
* Once I had completed the videos, I watched them again a 2nd time - not always paying as close attention as the first time, but it helped tie everything together
* I read through the glossary and tried to understand each topic
* I studied the acronyms
* I did not memorize formulas or prepare a brain dump
* I used the simulator and took exams in increments of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 80, 100, and once did 200.
* My results varied quite a bit - I reviewed every question to try and understand why I got it right or wrong - not just the misses
* By the time I got through all of the questions, my overall average was 72%

I was anxious the day of the exam. I had a process to ensure my pace was ok. I finished about 15 minutes early. And then BAM, ABOVE TARGET in all Domains!

Thanks Cornelius and everyone who has contributed in Lessons Learned!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login