fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: 12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time was a charm!

12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time was a charm! 4 years 2 months ago #19468

• Keira Miller
  • Keira Miller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I took the PMP exam on 12/28/2019 and PASSED!!! It was my 3rd time taking the exam this year. So this was the last time I could take the test before having to reapply.

The first time I did Joseph Phillips’ Udemy class. The second time I read through Rita’s book once. Both were helpful with gaining a general understanding, but did not contain enough practice exams. For my third time, I refused to paid over $1000 for a PMP bootcamp class. I found online that PM PrepCast had the best reviews and was the best value. I spent a month and a half reviewing the material and another month focusing on the practice exams. What was most beneficial to me was that the material followed the PMBOK and the practice exams. I would read the section in the PMBOK first, then listened to the lecture, and did the practice questions. Also I did all 7 exams (not the ITTO exam). I passed 6 of the 7 exams with my scores ranging from 69-75. For all my exams, I took the first 10 minutes to do a brain dump of all 49 processes (found a video on YouTube) and formulas. On the actual PMP exam, I found the questions to be very similar and easier than the practice exams. I would highly suggest completing all 7 exams as I felt it was a great indicator and built my stamina.

My scores were I:AT, P:AT, E:BT (not sure what happened but it is done lol), MC:AT, and C:T. I used the full 4 hours, with 20 minutes to review my flagged answers.

My two previous exams I took with Prometric and this one with Pearson. I know it may vary but I found the check in process more streamlined and the testing environment better.

Other test day suggestions:
- drive to the test center before test day to check out parking and etc
- dress in layers, my exam room got extremely cold towards the end my exam
- arrive at least 30 mins early
- be prepared for potential chaos as staff are checking in other exam takers for various exams, there were a lot of moving parts
- you can request earplugs. Although it did not completely cancelled noise it helped a lot. Also there are headphones but knew they would be too heavy to wear for 4 hours
- you get a basic calculator and laminated flip notebook to write
- you can not do your brain dump until question 1. I saw on here that some did it during the tutorial but the instructions and proctor explicitly said no writing until the test starts
- the timer on the screen is in minutes, countdown starts at 240 minutes whereas on the practice exams the format is in hour:minutes. I wrote in my notebook 180, 120, 60 so I can remember to do hourly adjustments to pick up speed
- once done with the exam you must raise your hand and remain seated. I was so excited I passed and grabbed my stuff to leave, but the proctor stopped me. She said if I would have exited she would have to report a violation

I can honestly say if I passed the PMP you will as well!

Thank you Cornelius Fichtner for providing great material and practice exams that helped me pass my PMP!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylvain L, Jehad F. Al Amri
Last edit: by Keira Miller.

12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time is a charm! 4 years 2 months ago #19530

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Well done!
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com

12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time is a charm! 4 years 2 months ago #19532

• Keira Miller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Elizabeth!!!

12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time is a charm! 4 years 2 months ago #19533

• Sue Popkes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congrats!! I too have failed twice and will be taking it the third AND FINAL time and passing sometime during the first quarter of 2020.

12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time is a charm! 4 years 2 months ago #19534

• Keira Miller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Sue! You will do well, you got this :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue Popkes

12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time is a charm! 4 years 2 months ago #19564

• Irene
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congratulations Keira! I'm in the same boat as well and hope to write my 3rd time soon. I had to take a bit of time away as my last writing had severely demotivated me but your story is very inspirational.

12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time is a charm! 4 years 2 months ago #19569

• Keira Miller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Irene! I completely understand I had a huge gap between my 2nd time (May) and this time (Dec). I had to mentally reset and enjoy the summer. Also I learned not to rush in too quickly and be ready on my own terms. But you're definitely in the right place. Since you already know the material, I would suggest putting your effort in the 7 practice exams. You will do well and I can't wait to hear when you pass :)
Last edit: by Keira Miller.

12/28/2019 PASSED 3rd time is a charm! 4 years 2 months ago #19607

• Lisa Sweeney PMP
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
Go get ‘um, Sue! I’m rooting for you!

Check-out my Lessons Learned: Passed PMP, 1st attempt, 9/5/19–Part 3 of 4
Skip down to the bottom, “IV. Answering the Questions”.

It helped me get through the exam.

Hoping third time will be a charm for you, too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elizabeth Harrin
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login