fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Aced the PMP First Try - First Thoughts

Aced the PMP First Try - First Thoughts 4 years 3 months ago #19427

• Nishiketh Shetty
  • Nishiketh Shetty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Pleased to inform that I Passed the PMP Exam on 23rd Dec 2019 with the following scores
Initiation -BT
Planning -AT
Execution-AT
M&C- T
Closing -AT

The Journey of achieving this was conceived on 24th September 2019 when i thought of aspiring to be a PMP certified Project Manager in line with my current profile. On the 1st of October 2019 i registered for the Membership with PMI and kick started my application process . Was required to undergo the 35 contact hrs which i got it from a local REP here (Prothoughts Solutions) . Got PMP application approved on 27th October 2019 .Initial Read of the PMBOK 6th edition started as soon as i got my Membership which was more of a first glance to understand the topics at a high level , the structure of the exam and so on . Post completion of the Contact hours used the following study materials for the preparation.
1) Rita Mulcahy ( For deep dive understanding of the subjects )
2) Head First PMP ( For Visual Learning in easy and fun language )

The Preparation is divided in two parts one is going through the content in PMBOK and other study aids and have a grasp of the material, the other important part is preparing for the exam with simulation of the actual test conditions. Going through 4hrs of the exam without even a bottle of water allowed next to you in itself is a bit stressful.
Studied for a good 4 -5 weeks on all the content (2-3 hrs each day and more on weekends and more Sacrifices ) , prepared notes on each Knowledge areas and realized the importance of having a simulator which would basically prepare you for the exam.

Went ahead and Purchased the Prepcast simulator on Nov 28th 2019 , Gave all the seven Practice test in 20 days with the following scores
PMP Exam 1 - 77.5
PMP Exam 2 - 78.5
PMP Exam 3 - 79.5
PMP Exam 4 -78.5
PMP Exam 5- 77
PMP Exam 6- 71
PMP Exam 7- 75.5
ITTO exam - not taken
Particularly emphasized on reviewing questions and answers which i marked in the shortest time (Say 30 seconds) and got it wrong , these were the real gaps in understanding .
Was disappointed with scores on the 6th and 7th Mock Exam , however did not let that affect the flow of the preparation . Did not give any Practice tests on the last 3 days , Watched Football (Man U Vs Watford) and Cricket (IND vs Windies) a day before the exam to divert my attention ahead of the exam and stay fresh.

Exam day : Started the exam and was a little slow to get the pace going , encountered a lot of questions which made no practical sense or logic where the main content mentioned something , the end question referred to something else and the choices provided were completely unrelated to the question or the content. There were times when i had thoughts what if i would not clear this and if i had the courage to go through it again . Finished all the questions with about 20 mins to spare , had marked at least 40 questions for review and was sure would not be able to visit them again. Questions heavy on change control , stakeholder , risk and procurement . Hardly anything on CPM , EVA . Good i did not do any brain dump.

Ran through the entire 4hrs , Surprised to see Congratulations after submission , bitter sweet victory , Did not know how to react when asked by the TA to complete the survey which i completed without even reading the questions .

Thank you Prepcast and this excellent forum for providing experiences and thoughts of exam takers , wonderful platform for all like minded people to contribute and share knowledge.

Appreciate your support in my journey to attain PMP certification.

Nishiketh Shetty .

Aced the PMP First Try - First Thoughts 4 years 3 months ago #19514

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Well done, what a great way to end the year!
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com

Aced the PMP First Try - First Thoughts 4 years 2 months ago #19741

• Neeraj Vasudeva
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Awesome, congratulation to you !!
-Neeraj
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login