fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed on 2nd attempt with T/AT/AT/T/BT

Passed on 2nd attempt with T/AT/AT/T/BT 4 years 4 months ago #19295

• Murtaza Sheikh
  • Murtaza Sheikh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Before I share my lessons learned, let me just say I am somewhat bitter with BT in Closing. Isn't that supposed to be the easiest?

My first attempt at taking the PMP exam was about 2 years ago and failing that taught me "what not to do". With almost 2 decades of being in this profession, there is a lot that you have to "unlearn" to see things from PMI perspective. The extent of my preparation was attending 2 different 5 day camps with some excellent instructors. Then one day, equipped with my over confidence and mission to slay the PMP exam, I sat through my first attempt. 4 hours later, I was BT in all areas.

What did I do differently you ask? I unlearned everything that I knew about project management!

It took me a year to regain my confidence and that's when I signed up for prep-cast. Living in a New York minute, I wasn't very diligent in the beginning and ended up rescheduling my exam a couple times until I had no options left. That's when i finally dowloaded all the podcasts to my phone and started listening to it any chance i got. Sometimes over and over again! Following that, I started taking little jabs at the mock tests, 10-20 questions at a time , but most IMPORTANTLY, I read the explanations of ALL the answers, even when i got them right. Starting with FAIL, i was scoring 70% + including in full exams. (took 2 in this system and 2 in another).

As for the exam itself (without jeopardizing my NDA) all I can tell you is that it was very similar to exam 6&7 in simulator. Luckily i took them just in the last few days and things were fresh in my mind. One thing that i found different was that the interface did not allow me scratch out any answers and that certainly had an impact on how i managed the clock.

Bottom Line: If you are a seasoned professional like me, you need to think forget what works in practice and think like PMBOK. And if you are new to the profession, use a lot of cross references to get a deeper understanding of why PMBOK wants you to do things a certain way.... and take a lot and lots of mock tests .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Naresh Ravula, Nishiketh Shetty

Passed on 2nd attempt with T/AT/AT/T/BT 4 years 4 months ago #19299

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Thanks, Murtaza, for sharing your exam success. Personally, while I understand it's unsatisfying, I wouldn't worry too much about the BT. No one is going to ask you for your passing breakdown - all that matters is you passed! Congratulations.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Murtaza Sheikh
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login