fbpx

Reply: Finally Passed, 2nd attempt

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Finally Passed, 2nd attempt

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 4 months ago #19035

Elizabeth Harrin

Congratulations, Scott! Tenacity pays off!
4 years 4 months ago #18966

Scott D

After almost a year of studying and a devastating failure, I passed the exam yesterday (T, BT, AT, T, T). I joined PMI and read the PMBOK cover to cover,
very boring and very dry. Didn't absorb much and then ordered a PDF copy of Rita's book (For sale). Began to understand more of the ins and outs
and went back to the PMBOK for spot checks. I stumbled around the interweb and found various free PMP question sites, you get what you pay for.
Then I found this forum and the Prepcast exam simulator. I took 4 of the exams (68.5, 69.5, 71, 73) before my first exam failure. I felt confident that
these scores weren't totally all encompassing of my knowledge. I read Rita's book again and scheduled my exam. I must say that I was extremely
frustrated with the verbiage and terminology on the exams. To say questions are ambiguous is an understatement. I felt the simulator questions
at least walked you down a trail of clues towards an answer. So I failed my first exam with an NI, BT, T, AT, BT. I was bitter and shamed as I had not
failed a test since high school. I took a few weeks off, licked my wounds and got back to grinding. This time around I got Andy Crowe's book
(Also for sale) and read that, things made much more sense now. Read some excerpts from Rita again. 1 week before the second exam I took 2
exams back to back (73.5, 73.5) and focused on the last chapter of each book (Rita + Andy) about identifying traps, tips and tricks. I think this might
have been what sealed it for me. Bottom line, do whats right, even if it means missing cost or schedule deadlines. I was a little taken back as I
thought I thoroughly had a good grasp of the knowledge. Of course, fears and second guessing crept in. I ignored the take the day off before the
exam stuff. I worked half a day and then studied a little that afternoon. Woke up the next morning at 5 and crammed before the 8 am exam.
Everyone who has taken a 200 question exam has a multitude of emotions thru the exam, like "I'm crushing this" to," I'm going to fail" and everything
in between. The first exam I doubted most of the time. The second exam I felt really good then things took a turn. Got a bunch of hard questions
in a row. Broke out of that and took a deep breath assuming I had passed and those glorious words popped up (Passed). I didn't see much else
afterwards. Oh the sweet relief.
So, some lessons learned. Don't let exam scores from this site dominate your mindset. You can still score low and pass the exam. There isnt a magic
score that tells you when you should take the exam. Don't be dismayed, be confident in your knowledge. But definitely use other mock exams.
But by far The Prepcast Simulator is the most similar to the real deal.
I also studied with Edward-Designer page, Edwel, Grey Campus, Prepare PM, Oliver Lehman, Simplilearn, Dan Ryan, Ailleen Ellis and Ricardo
Vargas. Very big thanks to all the people on this forum who shared their knowledge of success and failure. Without it, people like us would
walk a muddy trail. I can say that with 3 kids, this was a tough task. Stealing time to study during soccer practices, after kids bedtimes and
weekends. Lots of lost family time, but well worth it. I did not take advantage of my local PMI PMP study groups due to my work schedule
and kids sports schedules. This by far is probably the best way to really get great, accurate knowledge and to network with peers.
Thanks,
Scott

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login