fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP on 1st try 9/17

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP on 1st try 9/17

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 6 months ago #18613

D Jones

Passed PM with AT for all process groups two weeks ago on my first try. Because reading success stories helped me prepare, here was my schedule as a full time employee, heavily involved volunteer and mom of three kids:

June -

Began reading the PMBOK.
Took company provided classes: - Project Planning & Control; Risk Management and Stakeholder Management.
Purchased and began reading Joseph Phillips All in One CAPM/PMP book.

July -
PMP Boot Camp (week long).
Completed reading PMBOK (with detailed notes on every single chapter)
began Andy Crowe book.
Submitted PMI Application and set exam date for September.

August -
Purchased Joseph Phillips Udemy Course.
Watched the how to memorize the 49 processes (YouTube).
Watched Richard Vargas videos.
Downloaded PMP apps on tablet.
Tested with at least 20 questions a day.
Activated Joseph Phillips tests (came with the book).
Printed formulas from Edward Chung.
Did brain dump of process chart and formulas at least every other day.
Studied at least 2 hours daily and all day Sat/Sun by continuing with comparison between Andy Crowe and PMBOK notes.

Sept -
Continued study (2hr/day, weekends).
Used the free PM Exam Simulator and then purchased the full test package from PMP PrepCast.
Used Oliver Lehman's free tests, continued daily tests.
Took one full 4 hr test.
Used Rita's Process Chart game (this REALLY helped with knowing WHERE I was within the process on the practice tests and ultimately on the day of testing. )

Day of test
12P test. Ate breakfast (7:45am) studied up to time to leave for test and in parking lot (by reciting formulas). Ate handful of pecans and drank half of a can of Coke before walking into center.
Could not wear jacket or hair scrunchy (ladies, if you pull your hair back use a thin pony holder!). Was given calculator and large (11x14) spiral dry erase notebook with a think dry erase pen.
Did review and began test. Only brain dumped my formulas. Unable to highlight or line through/eliminate answers.
Took test and completed first pass with 73 minutes left.
Reviewed unanswered questions. I did not intend to leave any unanswered but the system was EXTREMELY responsive and quick so it looks like the click of the mouse clicked through and over a couple questions.) Thank goodness for the review screen!
Used notebook to note which question I may have struggled with and what two answers I narrowed down to so when i went back for review, I didn't have to go through the process all over again! (ex #48 A or D).
Started to doubt my answers and realized i was done (5 minutes left) and submitted test. Results were immediately and to be honest, all I remember seeing was the "congratulations" on the screen.
Did the survey and walked out to get the print out of my results.

Hope this helps those of you who haven't taken the test yet. According to PMI, they use over 30 different sources for the test (PM PodCast, Episode 434) so I highly encourage you to use many different (credible) sources!

Good luck!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login