fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Exam Prep Lessons Learned

PMP Exam Prep Lessons Learned 4 years 6 months ago #18535

• Robert Scruton
  • Robert Scruton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Having a background in education definitely helped me outline a training plan for obtaining PMP certification. The strategies implemented led to success on my first attempt testing Above Target in all areas of the exam. My training plan is outlined below.

In preparation for learning I watched several PMP overview videos online to get a birds-eye view of the material. I selected an online training program accredited by the PMI to ensure validity of content. A training calendar was developed both for moving through online material and for exam preparation. Benchmarks of achievement were identified to track progress. The preparation work for me resulted in a nine-week pathway to certification as follows.

Weeks 1-6 were dedicated to moving through the PMBOK Guide via the online training program. The time commitment during the first six weeks was an average of 5 hours per day 5 days per week. This six-week period began with a self-assessment and culminated with the final exam for the course. Each day of learning new material followed the same pattern: Read the new material. Take notes on the material. Watch the online material for the day. Update notes while moving through the presentation. Note, the previous days learning material was reviewed before moving into new material daily. The quiz for that material was taken and reviewed, and the notes were updated accordingly.

After completing the online course, the next three weeks were dedicated to exam preparation. During the first week all of the notes were compiled (60 pages) and reviewed. The notes were consolidated in the second week of study to focus on the core elements highlighted during the course (30 pages). Those abbreviated notes were then reviewed and an exam simulation was taken. The results of the simulation indicated predictable success on certification exam prompting me to schedule the exam for the earliest available testing appointment. The final week of preparation involved development of a brain dump sheet, studying the overview material, and reviewing the abbreviated notes.

The keys to success embedded in this training plan are repetition with material, exposure via multiple senses (reading, writing, watching, hearing), and an underlying disciplined approach to learning.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login