fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Lessons Learned - PMP Exam

Lessons Learned - PMP Exam 4 years 8 months ago #18033

• Thanet Ying-udomrat
  • Thanet Ying-udomrat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Passed the PMP Exam today, first time, thanks to PrepCast and exam simulator!

How PrepCast helps:
-I took my own notes as I went through the PrepCast (Thanks Cornelius!)
-Exam simulator was super helpful. You may think you understand the concepts, but then simulator shows your understanding may not help you answer the questions correctly if you are not careful. This is because the questions on the exam are typically tricky in terms of its wording and limited options of multiple choices (e.g. a few choices are right, but have to discern which is the 'best' answer)
-I find difficulty of the exam simulator is very close to the actual exam. Perhaps the actual exam wording is slightly trickier (e.g. Simulator question may ask: "Which tool & technique should PM use in the situation" while the actual exam may as "What should PM do" (i.e. more open ended and you cannot easily eliminate choices that are not tool & technique)

Helpful study tips:
-Understand all those PM processes. Try to practice and write them out so you can identify what process you are in when answering the question (so you can determine what ITTO are applicable)
-Earned value formulas. Again try practice writing them out so you can recall the formulas during exam.
-That said, I would recommend prioritize your time on the PM processes and don't let all the formulas intimidate you - in my experience, the formula questions make up low percentage of the exam compared to the process questions (e.g. Had only 2-3 formula questions on exam, out of 200 questions)
-Practice on those simulators as if they were real exams.
-If you don't have a 4-hour time to practice, then try learning from the simulator Quizzes. For example as most of us works full time, try 50 questions (a quarter of the exam) and see where you stand. Also don't forget to go through your incorrect answers and try to understand the underlying concept why you got it wrong, and learn from it

Testing experience at Pearson VUE:
-Report to the exam at least 15 min early. Locker provided, no personal belongings allowed. Also noise cancellation headphone provided, which is a bonus
-Go at the exam as if you are doing your 4-hour simulator practices
-I marked and skipped all the calculation questions, as I know I usually take more time on them. Then return to them at the end of the exam when there is time left. This is a personal preference.

Don't despair, there is hope at the end. Good luck! :)
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login