fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: How I passed first time!

How I passed first time! 5 years 4 months ago #15549

• Jessica Jones
  • Jessica Jones's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everybody,

This morning, I passed my PMP exam at the first attempt :) I was Above Target in all areas. I thought it might be useful to share the things that worked for me in terms of preparation, and taking the exam itself.

Full disclosure: I took my CAPM in 2016, so this was not my first pass at the material, although it was my first pass at the Sixth Edition of the PMBOK. I have a photographic memory and learn best by repeatedly writing things down, so this information might be most useful to you if you have a similar learning style.
  • Time spent preparing for the exam: 10 weeks
  • Study aids used: PM Prepcast, Kim Heldman Study Guide, PMBOK Guide
  • Practice exam questions: PM Prepcast Exam Simulator, Oliver Lehman, Efficient Learning (free with Kim Heldman guide), PMP Prep iPhone app ($25), free sample questions identified by Edward Designer

My approach was to spend the first month of studying going through the PMBOK Guide knowledge areas and processes, and the remaining time taking practice exams and then going back to areas where I needed improvement.

Lessons learned:
  1. I got the most value out of the practice exams. Take as many as you can -and try and get them from different sources. I did over 2500 practice questions and only paid for 2 sources (one source was $20). PM Prepcast Exam Simulator was excellent (and had the best statistical analysis, but using different sources will improve your confidence that you can handle anything the PMP exam throws at you. Edward Designer and Oliver Lehman are reputable recommendations of practice questions.
  2. My understanding of the ITTOs (and performance at ITTO questions - although I only got 3 of them in the exam itself!) improved dramatically when I stopped trying to memorize them and instead focused on how the processes interacted. Examples: where do deliverables flow to process-wise after Direct/Manage Project Work? What about Change Requests? If you must memorize, focus on the ITTOs that are unique or unusual, e.g. the project scope statement out of Develop Schedule, or Project Funding Requirements in Determine Budget.
  3. The brain dump is worth it, if only for your sanity. I took 15 minutes on my brain dump at the start of the exam. Yours will vary, but I did - the KA/PG chart, every formula I could think of, every Data Analysis type I could think of, the "Quality Dudes" (quality theories and their associated founders), QC tools, and leadership/motivational theories. Focus on the things you think you'll forget, so you can stop worrying about them :)
  4. Highlighting and striking out in the exam itself was a huge help! Use this tool!

Last but not least, try and stay calm. In practice and in the exam, my performance declined when I was rushing, or stressed about answering the last 2 questions incorrectly, or thinking "good grief, I still have 110 questions to go...". Focus on the question in front of you.

Thank you to Cornelius and the PM Prepcast team for providing great preparation for this exam, which I am delighted to never have to take again! I wish everyone the best of luck with their upcoming exams.

Very best,

Jess J (PMP!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zhenni Liu

How I passed first time! 5 years 4 months ago #15568

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Jessica,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login