fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: How I Passed: My Story

How I Passed: My Story 5 years 6 months ago #15369

• RMC
  • RMC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So I just passed the PMP. Tough exam but definitely worth it. I took a bit of a different approach. I wanted to get the full understanding of the PM Bok so I first took the CAPM. I wanted to be sure that I understood the theory and knowledge shared in the book and knew that the CAPM would cover that. The CAPM is also a Project Management certification and looks great on a resume, especially earlier in your PM career. The thinking was that the CAPM is only $250 or so and almost half what the PMP costs. If you fail the PMP you have nothing on your resume and you start over. The CAPM is not quite as difficult and serves as a true building block for the PMP. My guess is that very few CAPM's fail the PMP. To pass I utilized Andy Crowe's How To Pass On You First Try. Probably the best book for passing the PMP. The book contains over 500 solid questions including a full exam with detailed answers. He also has a full chapter on key insider details on how to pass and deep stats on questions being asked. I believe one of the key's to passing the exam was the Prep Cast Simulator. I ONLY used the learning function, loading 10 or so questions at a time. Each question I missed, I reviewed the correct answer comparing to the answer I selected. With that said, I didnt agree with every answer given. Many of the questions definitely had 2 correct answers, especially on the "What should the PM do next" questions. Also, the simulator has obscure terminologies and stretches that keep most users to 65% - 75% average. I do think the person writing the questions is a female since all of the references to the VPs Customers, and PMs in the questions are all referred to as "she", kinda odd. Final note is for me, I wanted to utilize every minute of my study time to be learning. I did not take any of the 4 hour tests since you do not learn during that time. I think it is much more profitable to take 100s of the learning questions, random or by process and learn what you missed.

How I Passed: My Story 5 years 6 months ago #15370

• Daniel Dewart
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
RMC,
Congratulations on passing the PMP test! As pertaining to the learning function on PrepCast: I took a very similar approach and concentrated on taking 10-20 questions at a time in learning mode. I would go back and research every question I missed and would not stop until I really “got it”. I did find the odd question or two that had a possible second correct answer depending on how you rationalized it, but for 95%+ of the questions I felt that PrepCast was spot on. Incidentally; I spent a lot of time taking practice tests and studying material from other service providers, but found the overall quality of the PrepCast material the best. Here is my disclaimer: I am not affiliated with PrepCast.

Best of luck in the future to you!

v/r
Dan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abdul Siddiqui

Nice 5 years 5 months ago #15447

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was studying for the PMP, thought the SAME thing, and then signed up for CAPM, then I was told not to waste my time pretty much by an instructor due to my experience but like you said, I want to have something at least and if its easier and cheaper why not?

What field are you in?
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login