fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed on First Attempt (5 ATs) - 07/09/2018

Passed on First Attempt (5 ATs) - 07/09/2018 5 years 9 months ago #14616

• Romeo Ryan Marquez
  • Romeo Ryan Marquez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Just wanted to provide some insight for anyone who might find this useful.

Full disclosure - I'm a CAPM and took that test in late 2014, so the PMP material wasn't "new" to me, though it's been a while since I took a look at the PMBOK. To study for the PMP I relied on: Rita's book and hot topics cards, and the PM PrepCast videos and full-length practice tests.

I started by reading the Rita book, and doing half of the questions at the end of each of the chapters to confirm I was absorbing the material. After each chapter, I'd look at the associated hot topics cards, not for rote memorization but to confirm that I understood the concept or term. This part of my study plan took about a week and a half.

I then watched most of the PM PrepCast videos (I think I skipped the ones that weren't specifically part of the exam), and at the end of each chapter, took the PDF quizzes provided. Going through the videos took about two weeks.

I took my first full-length PM PrepCast practice test and scored a 75%, which was encouraging. Based on the results for each of the areas, I went back and did a little more reading (as needed). The Rita book is great, but I did rely on the PMBOK book as well this time - the glossary and how the ITTO's "flowed" from one process to the next. I took five more practice tests, each 2-4 days apart. Overall, I scored around 78%.

The weekend before the actual test, I went through all the questions I got wrong on the practice exams and in my own words, wrote down what the associated concept was. I also spent an hour or two confirming that I could easily 'dump' the EV and other formulas as-needed. Based on what most other people have said, I did not try to memorize ITTOs (don't do this!). If you're comfortable with the material at this point, then you know what the key ITTOs are for each of the processes.

On the day of the test I spent an hour or so just looking at the concept notes I'd written, and tried dumping the formulas again. Don't try cramming at this point! Got to the ProMetric center very early, and opted to start as soon as I got there. Note that at my center (midtown Manhattan), water is not allowed inside the testing room - you need to leave it on top of your locker, so plan your water intake and bathroom breaks accordingly.

The PM PrepCast prep exams and Rita questions are similar to what you'll see on the real test. Most of the questions are about application and understanding, and not "what is an output of what". I found that I had many questions about change management and risk management, but your personal experience may vary.

I was extremely worried because after the 200th question, I had about 40 minutes left to review the 75 questions I had marked for review. In retrospect, marking if you're not sure is a good thing! My strategy was to mark anything I had even the smallest doubt about, as well as any questions involving calculations. I took the full 4 hours, and was almost sure that I'd have to come back and take the test again. Overall I spent about 2 months studying, and have absolutely no doubt that Cornelius' and the PM PrepCast team's material helped me pass. Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Yorek, Andrei Publico

Passed on First Attempt (5 ATs) - 07/09/2018 5 years 9 months ago #14617

• Scott Gillard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Congrats!
Community Moderator

Passed on First Attempt (5 ATs) - 07/09/2018 5 years 9 months ago #14626

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Romeo,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login