fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP Exam 6th Edition On First Try

Passed PMP Exam 6th Edition On First Try 5 years 9 months ago #14351

• Darren
  • Darren's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I used this forum a lot when I was preparing for the exam to encourage me, so I wanted to pay it forward by providing a little (lot) bit of insight into my own experience. This all started last year:
  • Learning Tree training (May 2017) -- this was my first introduction to PMI project management principles. A lot of the information and terminology went way over my head. The class was fine for introducing the material, but there was no way I felt comfortable enough to even begin thinking of taking the exam.
  • Rita Mulcahy (June 2017) -- I picked up this book to read alongside the PMBOK (5th edition) because of all the good things I'd read. My first pass through this book was largely positive. I'd spend nights and weekend for about two or three weeks reading and re-reading chapters and doing the exercises until the concepts stuck.
  • cut to: late June 2017. I got really (really) sick and had to postpone any professional or personal obligations to focus on my health. I ended up having surgery in October 2017. I wasn't feeling well enough during recovery to study and with the new PMBOK guide (6th edition) rearing its ugly head, the PMP was always in the back of my mind.
  • Pre-Cheetah Training (May 2018) -- after being out of the game (so to speak) for a year, I told my work that I wanted to get this over with. they agreed to send me to another training, this one a crash-course that a lot of my fellow PMs at work had had success with. Prior to going I re-read the Mulcahy book, re-took the book's tests, and re-did all the exercises. Also, prior to going to Cheetah training you're required to memorize their "mind map" and all the formulas so I memorized these over the course of a few weekends and, along with re-reading the PMP prep book, felt well prepared going into the class
  • Cheetah Training (June 2018) -- the first weekend of June I sat with 11 other people as we reviewed all of the course material, took practice exams, and reviewed each of the knowledge areas in detail. I'm honestly not sure how valuable I found the training itself. I did like the teacher's attitude and enthusiasm and a few of their methodologies and approaches to learning. It was good to take more of their practice exams, but otherwise, I'm not sure I learned much that I hadn't already gleaned from the PMP prep book. One great thing about Cheetah is that they will guarantee a pass or they'll pay for your subsequent exams (up to three, at which point they'll reimburse you for the course). In order to receive the guarantee they require you be scheduled for the exam prior to the class and they encourage you to take the exam as soon as the week is over. Class ended on Thursday (6/7) but I wanted to take the weekend to study more so I scheduled my exam for Monday (6/11).
  • PM Prepcast (June 2018) -- because of the long weekend, I wanted to take the weekend to really dive in deep on practice exams. I'd been stalking PM Prepcast Simulator for a while and been lurking in the forums. I decided to pull the trigger on the simulator since I would've given just about anything to pass this exam, and I'm glad I did. The questions on the simulator were, to me, much harder than on the actual exam. I never got above 70%, which was discouraging. I took many, many 100 question timed quizzes and one 200 question quiz. My grades hovered around 65%. I've got some feedback on the simulator, but I'll save that for another post. What I will say is that it definitely helped me look into things I may otherwise have missed and absolutely prepared me for the content I would find on the actual exam.
  • The PMP Exam (dun dun dun) -- my exam was at 830 so I woke up early, ate two hard boiled eggs to give me the protein to get through the morning and drank a little bit of water. My anxiety was through the roof but once I settled down, I found the questions were much easier to discern what they were asking for than I thought they'd be. I did a first pass, ignoring all math questions (there were only three) and 'marking' the ones that really stumped me. I took a break around question 150 (I still had about two hours to go at that point). On my break I did some breathing and stretching exercises that I learned from Cheetah that really re-energized me. When I got back, I took down the last 50 questions and started my review. Overall I had 'marked' 35 questions. I even checked a few random ones in between just to make sure I was of sound mind that first pass through. I honestly had no idea how I did and the clock went down to the last second I was shaking. But then "congratulations" popped up, and I was in disbelief. This insane journey was over (or just beginning?). I scored "Above Target" in all domains except Initiating and Planning, which I scored at "Target."

A few other things: I never memorized any ITTOs (other than the ones Cheetah requires you memorize - otherwise it's kind of common sense), never read the PMBOK cover-to-cover, and didn't stress about the small stuff. Rita's book (yes, for the 5th edition), the Cheetah mind map, and the PM Prepcast Simulator were the most valuable tools for me, but everyone's different. I already work in an agile environment so that content was not difficult for me. I'm so relieved to be done with this and trust me, if I can do it so can you.

Anyways, sorry for the verbose post. I'm just so excited I passssssed!!!! Now I need a nap and a beer in that order.

Passed PMP Exam 6th Edition On First Try 5 years 9 months ago #14359

• leon
  • leon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your success story in details.
Looking forward to read your Precast simulator feedback comparing to exam experience. And I’m curious to know that would it be same as mine.

Have a good sleep! :) :) :)

Passed PMP Exam 6th Edition On First Try 5 years 9 months ago #14364

• Joao Miguel Beltrao
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you so much for your detailed lessons learned! Congratulations! I hope you are 100% back to full health.

Passed PMP Exam 6th Edition On First Try 5 years 9 months ago #14459

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Darren,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login