fbpx

Reply: Passed exam on Mar. 21st! Scored 4 'Above Target', and 1 'On Target'. First try.

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed exam on Mar. 21st! Scored 4 'Above Target', and 1 'On Target'. First try.

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 4 weeks ago #13786

John Gallina

The PMP PrepCast was an instrumental component of my overall study plan - which, I must tell you, evolved over the 8 weeks that I spent preparing for the exam. I made studying for this exam my full-time job. I drew a line in the sand to take the exam on March 21st (for PMBOK 5th edition). I work best under pressure.

I scored 4 'Above Target', and 1 'On Target'.

Lessons learned:
- Allow yourself enough time. Halfway through my plan, I realized there was so much to know that I had to step-up my game to 7 days per week, 10 hours per day. I wouldn't advise that to others unless you've been in that kind of pressure-cooker environment before. It's not the best approach.
- I flipped through (did not read) every page of the PMBOK just to see the flow and catch key words.
- Watched every PM PrepCast video in the recommended order. This is key!!
- At the end of each module, I read the respective PMBOK chapter to reinforce.
- Took the quizzes at the end of each chapter.
- Worked through the entire PM PrepCast program which was a fantastic overview, with enough detail to set you on the right course.
- I watched the last several modules on my iPad so that I could view them at 1.5x speed because I felt that I was running behind.
- For the last month, I practiced making my 'formula sheet' several times per day so that when it came time for the exam, I could replicate it in a minimal amount of time because the clock is literally ticking when you are allowed to pick up the pencil to write your notes during the exam.
- Some of the best advice that I read and heard from Cornelius was to take at LEAST 5 full 4-hour exams. Using a few different sources is a good idea, as well. I used the PM PrepCast exam simulator. If you don't have it - GET IT and USE lT, over and over again. It provides FANTASTIC FEEDBACK to help you PASS THE EXAM!!
- I used Crowe's book as my supplemental guide. Eh...My concern was that there were a couple of inaccuracies. I hear a lot of people like Rita's book.
- Take simulated exams at the same time of day as you plan to take the real exam, if possible. Be aware of how your body feels during that time of day.
- The simulated exams are critical in knowing the pace that you must set for yourself for the test.
- Have a strategy planned out ahead of time, and use the simulations to test that strategy. Adjust as necessary.
- Personally, I simply 'Marked' any question that required a formula to be calculated, AND SELECTED CHOICE 'A' in case I didn't make it back to the question, thereby giving myself a 25% chance of getting it right. So, if you 'Mark' a question - and you probably will - choose an answer and move on. Don't leave it blank.
- Remember to RTFQ and ANSWER!! - - Don't let the speed and time crunch force you into making dumb mistakes.
- Glad I took mine in the afternoon. Took it easy in the morning. Took my time getting to location. Spent an hour and a half at a nearby restaurant to eat a good late second breakfast. Relaxed. Moseyed over to ProMetric and checked-in.
- I took a bottle of water and a protein bar for my snack.
- You need to know that the test center has a process that you must go through each time you leave the testing room (e.g. sign out/in, signature verification, metal detector, empty your pockets, roll-up your sleeves and pant legs.) Plan accordingly.
- Don't underestimate the Code of Ethics, problem solving methods, and psychological theories.

I worked very hard to earn this. My mindset was that I was either going to pass it, or I was going be provided the opportunity to try again! Keep a positive mental attitude!

Good luck, and enjoy the experience!!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login